Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Both the Left and the Right think the other side is being \'duped\'

i just had a thought that struck me as funny

i think the right is naive in their support for the powermongers that brought us vietnam, overthrowing central/s american democracies to install brutal dictators, iraq, etc bcz of their real overly imperialistic intents (e.g. not really fighting communism as was the excuse in the cold war)

and the right thinks im naive for thinking that this type of foreign policy is unneccesary

corps run the world

although it looks bleak i am hopeful that there will be a backlash in my lifetime

an eventual backlash is inevitable
Old 08-25-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Both the Left and the Right think the other side is being \'duped\'

[ QUOTE ]
i just had a thought that struck me as funny

i think the right is naive in their support for the powermongers that brought us vietnam, overthrowing central/s american democracies to install brutal dictators, iraq, etc bcz of their real overly imperialistic intents (e.g. not really fighting communism as was the excuse in the cold war)

and the right thinks im naive for thinking that this type of foreign policy is unneccesary

corps run the world

although it looks bleak i am hopeful that there will be a backlash in my lifetime

an eventual backlash is inevitable

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly display your intelligence by announcing to a shocked world that the "right" brought us Vietnam. I guess that Kennedy and Johnson were radical neo-cons.

Furthermore, the proof that we are imperialistic is amazingly clear when you look at the new states of Kosovo, Somalia, Hati, et al.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You clearly display your intelligence by announcing to a shocked world that the "right" brought us Vietnam. I guess that Kennedy and Johnson were radical neo-cons.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to assume from your cheap trick of translating "the right" into "radical neo-cons" means that you actually don't realize how neoconservatism originated as a preference for maintaining the aggressive posture of Democratic foreign policies from about 1948-70, which in turn reflected a bipartisan consensus that Vietnam shattered. The foreign policies of Kennedy and Johnson are those to which neoconservatives generally want to return, so these Presidents are the paradigmatic "radical neocons." "Neoconservatism--the term was Michael Harrington's--originated in the 1970s as a movement of anti-Soviet liberals and social democrats in the tradition of Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Humphrey and Henry ("Scoop") Jackson . . . ." Michael Lind.

If you ever decide to stop sneering at people who don't share your ignorance, you might want to take up reading, or befriend someone who can.

P.S. Kosovo isn't a "state," but a UN protectorate within the state of Serbia and Montenegro.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have to assume from your cheap trick of translating "the right" into "radical neo-cons" means that you actually don't realize how neoconservatism originated as a preference for maintaining the aggressive posture of Democratic foreign policies from about 1948-70, which in turn reflected a bipartisan consensus that Vietnam shattered. The foreign policies of Kennedy and Johnson are those to which neoconservatives generally want to return, so these Presidents are the paradigmatic "radical neocons." "Neoconservatism--the term was Michael Harrington's--originated in the 1970s as a movement of anti-Soviet liberals and social democrats in the tradition of Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Humphrey and Henry ("Scoop") Jackson . . . ." Michael Lind.

If you ever decide to stop sneering at people who don't share your ignorance, you might want to take up reading, or befriend someone who can.

P.S. Kosovo isn't a "state," but a UN protectorate within the state of Serbia and Montenegro.

[/ QUOTE ]

devestating.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:28 AM

Default \"Oh. He didn\'t know!..\"

[ QUOTE ]
Devastating.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not aware of our little circle of conservative masochists here? They get a kick out of being slapped around with facts. Which they ignore, and get slapped around some more.

Just watch jaxmike's response to Alger's points. Have the camera ready.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:18 AM

Chris,

You are correct on the origins of modern neo-conservativism. That said, I think Jax's basic point was that the policies that brought us into the Vietnam war had much to do with the Democratic presidents. Your explanation of the origins of neoconservatism really does nothing to argue the point that Jax was trying to make.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 AM

I'm guessing you are 18, you just got to college, and a bunch of hippies on your dorm floor just told you everything "they" don't want you to know?

-Matt
Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Do hippies still exist at college? (Other than in the teachers rec room off course.)
Old 08-26-2005, 12:14 PM

Modern hippies. Basically posers.

-Matt
Old 08-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: \"Oh. He didn\'t know!..\"

You sound like the type of person who thinks he's armed with a devasating set of facts that the other side has never considered and will just stop them in their tracks, causing them either to ignore you or rethink their position.

Trust me, not such set of facts exists.