Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 08-24-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: US Evangelist Calls for Assasination of Venezuelan leader

Robertson backpaddles:

"On Wednesday, he initially denied having called for Chavez to be killed and said The Associated Press had misinterpreted his remarks.

"I didn't say 'assassination.' I said our special forces should 'take him out,'" Robertson said on his show. "'Take him out' could be a number of things including kidnapping.""

And...and...it could also mean "take him out for dinner". Link
Old 08-24-2005, 05:47 PM

And people say Muslim extremists are bad... (which they are, obviously) I'd argue these kind of attitudes at home are far, far more dangerous.

Does anybody actually take him, and others like him, seriously? He's a bigger douche than John Edward for sure.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 PM

I don't care for Pat Robertson but I care even less for Hugo Chavez. Robertson makes stupid and obnoxious remarks but Chavez has basically destroyed a country.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And people say Muslim extremists are bad... (which they are, obviously) I'd argue these kind of attitudes at home are far, far more dangerous.

Does anybody actually take him, and others like him, seriously? He's a bigger douche than John Edward for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

If no one takes Pat Robertson seriously, how can this attitude be "far, far more dangerous" than muslim extremism?

Please give current examples where evangelist Christians have commited random acts of terrorism and murder on the orders of their religious leaders. Or please rethink such a foolish statement. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:06 AM

Maybe I didn't phrase my claim well enough. You don't think that, should an opinion like his become mainstream, it would negatively effect the average American more than terrorism? If our country assassinated every dangerous leader or (oftentimes, it would probably require both) tried to take over everyone that opposed us?

[ QUOTE ]
Please give current examples where evangelist Christians have commited random acts of terrorism and murder on the orders of their religious leaders. Or please rethink such a foolish statement. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Random acts of terrorism? Terrorism, at least what we have seen in this country, has been for a purpose. A warped, fanatical, religiously-devoted purpose, but to those commiting these acts, they are serving a purpose.

Please tell me, how is Pat R.'s suggestion that we assassinate the Venezuelan leader any different than Bin Laden suggesting his followers kill our leader (or us)? Just because Bin Laden's people are more likely to follow through with it doesn't make either of their suggestions better than the other.

If Pat Robertson's ideas were as widely accepted in our country as Muslim extremism is among the rest of the world, I think it would be much worse for us.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:24 AM

He's pathetic, if he were my dad/grandpa, I'd have already sent him to a sanitarium.

Grandkids! Step it up, Grandpa needs your HELP!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This is like listening to any advice from angry old farts at the poker table, you know the type...

>TW<
Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 AM

Pat Robertson epitomizes the Christian Right.

Let's not kid ourselves
Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pat Robertson epitomizes the Christian Right.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so wrong and as a right-leaning Christian, I resent this comment.