Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 04:14 AM

Default $3/5 NL live, 350BB stacks

'Card Club Game'

SB is tight and predictable.

SB $1780
Hero Covers

Several stacks are above $1000 in this game, and most players bad. The game is not very aggressive. Hero is at least the 2nd best player here and is the 2nd best hand reader.

Hero is in MP. A few limpers, Hero calls Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. A few more limpers. SB raises to $30. EP Calls, Hero Calls, LP Calls.

Flop $140. T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain bets $50, EP Calls, Hero Calls, LP folds.

At this point, I am not sure what villain has, (2 overs at worst), but I plan to see the turn and take it from there.

Turn $290 [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets $300. EP folds.

At this point alarm bells start ringing in my head. I am almost sure that a rivered Q will be no good. I put villain on top 2 or a set, but also possibly AK.

I think forever. I am scared of a diamond that pairs the board, and consider folding. I will not pay off if a Q comes. I do not think I will pay of a 2, but I am not sure yet. Finally, I cannot decide if I will pay off the board pairing diamond or not, but I call.

River $890 [T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets all in $1400: Hero calls.

Thoughts on all streets, and analysis of my thought process, with particular interest in flaws.

Results to follow.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: $3/5 NL live, 350BB stacks

Assuming your flush draw is good, which seems likely, and assuming worst case scenario that he has AA, and you have only 7 outs, which is about 6:1 against to hit. You are getting 2000:300, or almost 7:1 in combined pot odds and implied odds (this is assuming you know he will push the river). So it's slightly +EV. That said, there are reverse implied odds to consider if villain is pushing this river 100% of the time and either you hit a two or a board pairing diamond.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 AM

You seemed to imply after the flop that the villain was very tight, and that with his bets he must have a huge hand. In that case, what are you doing with Q2s against his raise? I wouldn't have played the hand for even $5, but against a raise it's an easy pre-flop fold.
You called on the flop, which isn't a bad play on it's own, but when you take into account what you said you thought he had, and that you couldn't pay off even if you made 2 pair on the river, what are you hoping to turn here? Or was it his turn bet that told you 2-pair might be no good? You can't call this flop obviously unless you think 2-pair will be good.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 AM

After losing for the nth time with Qx suited to a higher flush draw, I have ceased playing it, even in the SB. Its a terrible hand, you can get two pairs that aren't good, you're kicker is worthless, and as I mentioned, your flush isn't always good.

I know this isn't probably what you're most interested in hearing, but little mistakes tend to compound themselves in poker. I'm assuming you won, but as you probably know runner runner is 20/1, which it sounds like was the only way you could win.

One thing that interests me is why villain pushed on the river, unless he somehow also hit a backdoor flush. I don't see the value in doing this, as you're not likely to call now unless you hit a flush. Strange play.

David
Old 05-12-2005, 09:12 AM

Did Villain have KdTd?
Old 05-12-2005, 09:31 AM

Preflop: Very bad.
Flop: Meh.
Turn: Poor.
River: Routine.

1. Don't play queen-crap suited in MP. For god's sake don't call a raise with it.
2. I guess you can call here, his bet is pathetic. But that often indicates set.
3. Looks like he's got a monster. You barely have odds here if you need a non-pair-board diamond, even if he'll go allin. Thin draw.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:47 AM

fold preflop.

i'd fold the turn.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:02 AM

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] looks likely here. Maybe villian was bluffing the entire way with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I have to say I don't believe Hero won this hand. It seems like a flush is the only thing Villian should be pushing with on the river. I can't really see a lower flush being played like this. Villian wouldn't raise in SB with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would he? Given the description, I'd say nut flush or AA at worst. And if he had AA, he made a bad mistake on the river.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop.

i'd fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

same
Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Results

Villain tables TT.