Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player\'s positional advant

[ QUOTE ]
How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player's positional advantage?

[/ QUOTE ]

you dont, which is why they are good/agg.

if I must stay in the game, i just use shania on certain boards to CR or lead into him so i dont fall into a steady pattern.

but yeah, being there sucks, which is hopefully how my opponents feel when i sit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Please excuse my ignorance....What is "Shania"?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:07 PM

It's 2+2's term for balancing your play (playing hands in certain ways to hide information). There's an old post by abdul I think somewhere (not in this forum) that explains it nicely.

His main example was that you raise UTG w/ AA and AA only. Everyone will fold, so you're EV w/ AA is positive and your EV in general for the game per hand is negative. Then you add in 23s to your UTG raise. Even though you added a -EV hand, your overall "shania" will improve (because AA EV will go way up per hand). So now you can apply the term to any / all types of situations preflop and postflop.

As for the word itself, I believe he just chose it because of shania twain - which is very funny as we all still use it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 03:13 PM

Thanks, i've seen the term many times now, and was never able to figure it out!
Old 05-04-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player\'s positional advantage?

Check when you hit...fire away when you miss. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 04:32 PM

I've been experimenting with this, purposely sitting ahead of a LAG to try different tactics out (yeah sounds stupid, but I'm trying to improve my game, ok?). I've found that the there are two fundamental moves that seem to work against LAGs that have position on you; tightening up preflop (naturally), and the Stop-and-go. I find the stop-and-go is best executed on the turn; though with weaker LAGs, it will work on the flop as well. I don't like the check-raise as much, since it allows the LAG to call and see the turn. The stop-and-go on the turn leaves only one card to come, and if the LAG is drawing, he is drawing much slimmer.

The bottom line, though, is you have to play better cards, and you have to be able to read the LAG for a real hand or not. You have to avoid being trapped into calling off your stack. Interestingly, this is not that different from the caution a LAG must employ in executing his strategy.

EDIT: Notice I didn't talk about whether your hand hit, regarding the stop-and-go. You may have to bluff back at the LAG; however considering that you are playing many fewer hands, the smart LAG ought to give your bets some respect.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:44 PM

i should have also added in game theory to my above response. in steal/defending situations, i sometimes just use something like unrelated to the hand to throw in a CR or reraise. like today, i defended a CO raise with AJo and decided if the flop had a 9 or 2 (or an A or J maybe), then i would raise his flop bet.

this keeps them from taking too many pots away, and not letting my discretion get in the way, making me too predictable.

sklansky goes over this in TOP in much greater detail. pretty cool stuff.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What chapter? (I don't have the book in front of me, so I don't know if it's easy to find. And I'm lazy.)
Old 05-04-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but he never mentions the term "shania", which can only be learned on 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2005, 05:04 PM

It's at the end. All of the chapters relevant to NL pretty much are at the end. The last like 4 or 6 chapters, all about game theory, bluffing, hand reading etc...