Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 09:46 PM

Default How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player\'s positional advantage?

This is giving me fits today.

Checkraise everything?

Any ideas?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player\'s positional advant

check-raise or get up.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 PM

Change seats.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check-raise or get up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Against an overly aggressive LAG with position why not just check/call check/call block bet?

I dont like shutting off LAGs after their flop bet, it plays into their hands SO well; they are able to move you off your hand when they have a big draw, they win alot more with big hands because they can cause you to overplay a hand out of position with alot of monehy in on the turn, and if they're pure bluffing, which they do alot, you give them an easy excuse to fold.

of course evertyhing is situational, and maybe my play looks passive sometimes, but I like to just let them bet for me.

as for getting up, as well, thats always an option but if you can tilt a lag...
Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player\'s positional advantage?

hrm....This can really depend on the spefic player. Some people will shut down again you if you checkraise them often enough adn stop picking on you, though really aggresive ones will start pushing with draws. I dont really like the "let them bet for you" plan, as like you say...if they play good after the flop you will be giveing them free cards whene you are ahead and left not knowing where you are if they bet the turn again.

Moving so you have position is really the best answer.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: How do I negate a good aggressive 6max player\'s positional advantage?

I like the advice so far. If you have 150 BBs or more and he does too, I really like to get up - you are at such a disadvantage if he's a decent player.

With shorter stacks, I don't mind the check / call lines. I look like a calling station, but I get great EV from this type of play (although variance goes up a bit). If the guy knows when to shut down, you're in some trouble and should move.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:14 AM

You have to mix up your play considerably and start including more bluffing if you've been playing tight. Start throwing in some 3x his raise reraises, occassionally with absolutely nothing and be prepared to bet 80% of the pot no matter what comes. Don't do this every time he raises you are giving him a huge advantage since he will have positition on you with a flat call and remember most of the time you will miss the flop. After a few loose or bluff reraises, slow down and only start making with big hands, hopefully he'll get tired of it and push back when you have a big PP. And if none of this works, seriously get up unless the rest of the game is really, really soft.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Good point. It can be hard to play when they raise every hand and you get down to 4 handed or so, you have to start defending your blinds more libereally with inferior holdings, so calling someone down with A3s is sometimes uncomfortable. More often I call down with a hand and check-raise with nothing...
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More often I call down with a hand and check-raise with nothing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think that "good aggressive" players will notice that trend. I know of several players whose flop check-call scares me much more than a check-raise does.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:37 PM

Online?

Definitely change tables. A good aggro with position on you in a 6max game will make your life hell. If I can't change seats I'm changing tables. Period.

If you insist on playing force him to gamble with you. Lead into him on a consistent basis and get all in with the upper range of the hands you flop (top pair decent kicker, nut flush draws with an over, OESFD, and maybe OESD with an overcard or two). When he smooth calls on the flop and you have nothing, you're gonna have to either check raise all in on the turn, or open push the turn enough times to make him not wanna float around on the flop with air. Basically you have to out aggro the aggro - simply waiting for a hand to pick him off with won't work since he'll notice you have a hand from your call/fold ratio. Then he'll just shut down and you wont break him.

But yeah, save yourself the headache and move.