Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 11:48 PM

Default PSI Worst Poker on TV Yet

I was pretty excited to watch the first episode of the PSI. Seeing all the top players playing at the same table and playing with thier actual cash; and the then 1st episode started.

In the hour it was on I think I saw about 15 total hands. Twice they came back from a commercial break and showed ONE hand and then cut to another commercial break. They had a commercial break every 3 hands.

Also, we couldn't see the hands player's were folding preflop. Other FOX poker has shown all the hands, why not this show? I also though we would see more "moves" by the pros, but most of the hands shown on TV were just the famous ALL-IN pre-flop or All-in on the flop with top pair against an over pocket pair.

I have no idea how many chips each player started the table with and how many chips each player had at the start of the episode. The players and annoucner kept mentioning the importance of having lots of chips, but I think only twice I saw a table chip count (and this only happened aftere 2 players got elminated).

Oh and finally, did I hear the announcer correctly when he said that the winner of the "tourney" will win ONE MILLION DOLLARS? Then they kept mentioning how the each player put of 400K to enter. Where is the other 2.2 million? Sounds like Duthch Boyd might have put together the payout for the tournament.

These are my thoughts, but Would love to get others opinion on the PSI.

TUDS
Old 08-15-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Re: PSI Worst Poker on TV Yet

I posted in another thread about this but i totally agree with you. Too many all-in hands, i was hoping for something more like Poker at the Plaza, where there were many hands that played through every street. What would have been the best would have been if they had showed every hand like at Turning Stone but i knew that wouldn't happen because it would too boring for the casual viewer. Overall it was ok, hope it gets better and they need fewer commercials, at point i think they only played one hand inbetween commercials.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:08 AM

I wouldn't call it the worst show ever, but I'm certainly disappointed with it. I think the poker in the other Fox shows has been much more entertaining from a poker players point of view.

This one in contrast has been very much an all-in fest.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:47 AM

Agreed. I was expecting something better from FSN after Poker at the Plaza, which I thought was great. In addition to the problems already mentioned, I hated that you couldn't hear any of the dialouge between the players. You could hear that they were saying something in the background, but it was drowed out by whatever Charlie Rose and the other commentators were blabbing about.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:59 AM

I had such high expectations for this too. How could they go wrong with that lineup?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 AM

Excellent point about hearing the talking between the players. In my opinion that is what made WSOP and Showdown @ the Sands and Plaza shows even more entertaining. Another reason PSI was a huge letdown.

Tuds
Old 08-16-2004, 01:31 AM

Good Point Tuds- They should have at least laid out the format and stated that is was a 100K game and leading to other events, had to go to cardplayer link just to understand what I was watching. Am looking forward to the long event as a way to remove one lucky (Gus) hand from overall ending.

SUE
Old 08-16-2004, 03:31 AM

it was dissapointing, and i too was expecting more like the previous Fox telecasts. this was too slow, to bland, and at times very odd when there was no noise or music, everyone sat there silent and it was that odd dead period. they should have had some light music or something. plus the chips were so new they stuck together.

i think barry greenstein two or three times threw in his chips and they stuck together in a stack instead of falling over like usual. very choppy with the short clips and quick commercials. over all very bad first episode.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:50 AM

didn't see it. might not be inclined to catch one of the re-runs based on these reviews.

for the record:
Charlie Rose is the talk-show guy on PBS (quite good in my opinion).
Chris Rose is the host of Best Damn Sports Show who also did the PBP of the Plaza poker stuff (and i'm assuming is the announcer for this poker show also).
Old 08-16-2004, 06:19 AM

anyone else cant stand how that idiot from best damn sports show says the word "draw" and how he always says he has a straight draw when it is a gut shot!?

also, why were the starting blinds at 1k/2k with the stacks at 100k?? and why were they raising so big??? i think ivey raised to 28k when doyle and gus limped and the blinds were 1500/3k??? can anyone explain that? i dont play any live tournies but is this a normal thing? on online poker sites the raises are all 3x... barry raised 13k a few times with the blinds 1500/3k. i didnt understand this with only 100k to start with. i was pretty disappointed with the show overall too. 15 hands and 12 of them were all ins? except for the 3 hands that johnny played in lol. i wasnt impressed hope they listen to us and change it if they all werent recorded already. but i dno if i saw this on tv last year and didnt play for 10 months i probably would love it so i doubt they will change anything. oh well still good watching poker on tv + the main event and that other espn freeroll is coming up i guess...