Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-05-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: OMG Michael Vick pwns Carolina lol!!!`11z

Victor,

Well they're 7-4 with him this year on one of the easiest schedules in the league and after being very luck with regards to fumble recoveries. The Falcons are an average team.

-Jack
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 AM

JoA
Imagine you are the Falcons GM and have Vick locked in at quarterback for the next ~5 seasons.

What pressing needs would you fill (imagine last offseason or the coming one, whicever you prefer) and how would you build around Vick? What sort of team do you think he could succeed on? What does he need to help him out the most?

You seem to be one of the bigger Vick detractors; IYO can he win a SB?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 AM

Jack,

I don't think the Falcons should ditch Vick. I just think they would be better served to use Schaub as their main passer, lining up Vick all over the place. You could direct snap it to him, line him up at QB and run QB draws/sweeps, and if he can catch the ball then you can do stuff there too. I think Vick should have maybe 12 runs/catches per game and maybe 10 pass attemps to keep teams honest when he lines up under center.

Also, I thought spies were usually LBs, not DEs? Do you mean the DE has to stay home to watch for the bootleg?

-Fink
Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 AM

pfunk,

Yeah, Vick can win a Super Bowl. so can Kyle Orton or Trent Dilfer. I obviously think Vick is much better than those two, but I'm just saying that he's a decent QB. Now, I don't think he'll ever be the reason the Falcons win the SB but he'll be a good contributor. What is needed? Well, first of all, I'd look at the coaching staff. Currently, the O-Line is pretty good; it's a run-based O-Line like Denvers that doesn't do well in pass protection. You can afford that liberty when you have one of the greatest scramblers of all time.

The rest of the offensive playcalling leaves something to be desired. Vick seemed much more comfortable in 2002 than he does now. Then, the Falcons ran a lot of Full House plays (an inverted wishbone that looks like a diamond. Involves usually a HB, and a FB and H-Back/TE lining up ahead of him). The Falcons need to be very creative, using different formations that take advantage of a speedy QB. Things like the wishbone, the flexbone, and the single wing would terrorize defenses for at least a couple plays a game. if nothing else they could be good decoys. However, they're very good at creating mismatches, such as getting Alge Crumpler on a weak coverage LB. The defense would have no idea what hit them.

But more than anything the Falcons need a sound rush defense. They're just absolutely porous right now and can be run right over. Combine this with their unoriginal playcalling - one that Vick isn't completely comfortable in and doesn't utilize his skills very well - and you have a team that won't last very long in the playoffs.

All that said, I hope Vick can find success as a passer. It would be truly amazing to see. He's already a joy to watch - I'm just annoyed that people equate exciting with on-field production.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:23 AM

Fink,

turning Vick into Slash II (III? IV?) would make him a parody. There's no harm in lining him up at WR a few times a game, but his value monetarily is as a QB. It's also where he's most protected.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:41 AM

JoA
I'd be interested (morbidly) to see the single wing in action in the nfl, it was my offense in high school and I wasn't the biggest fan.

be healthy,
funk