Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Video TStone coached me on

[ QUOTE ]
QTo : Is raising that donkbet with overcards standard for you? I usually just call the flop and fold turn UI. Mixing it up by raising like you did, when it's likely to give me a free SD vs. passive opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]
I notice a lot of people sometimes take shots with garbage, and I might even fold to my flop raise. Other times I get the free card. Calling occasionally is fine to mix it up, but I think I normally raise.

[ QUOTE ]
A3o : button limps and you fold A3o in the SB, I don't fold there. Sometimes call, sometimes raise depending on the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
Leak found, and plugged. I didn't really know how to play it, but now I think I might. I complete, rather then raise. I guess with a super tight BB I might raise.

[ QUOTE ]
J6s : you bet an AKK flop and get called, I wouldn't fire again on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
leak found, and plugged.

[ QUOTE ]
A7o : UTG limps and you fold A7o OTB, I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
leak found, and plugged.

[ QUOTE ]
A5o : on the CO 5handed, I usually raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this might be a bit too loose, unless you have tight people on the button and in the blinds. I was informed by a bunch of people that around A7 or K9 should be the lowest you should be stealing with. Maybe I am wrong though.

[ QUOTE ]
ATs : Y_Do_U_Ask raises UTG, Button coldcalls, you 3bet from BB, I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like raising because there is a decent chance I have the best hand, and I want initiative. Calling would be ok too, but I think raising might have more value.

[ QUOTE ]
J3o : flop FH, I call flop and raise turn because this player will likely bet into you on the turn again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought about doing that, and it indeed might be best. My thoughts were that there was a twoflush out there, and that my flop raise could mean a flush draw or even just nothing since it was HU. I was hoping for him to 3-bet, so I could pop him on the turn. Or, I was hoping he would check raise me on the turn. I didn't want the action to go bet-call, bet-raise, because I thought I might kill action. This still may be the best route though.

Thanks for your input,
Spicymoose
Old 11-25-2005, 11:30 AM

Great video - interesting how most of the comments are clustered around a few hands - I watched the video before reading the replys and all of the hands that I had written down were already talked about - Very interested in why re-raising your ATs against in the BB vs a pretty solid UTG raiser is EV+, I would be calling this as we are in an easily dominated hand, without position agianst a fairly solid UTG raiser.....I call this and play cauitiously depending on how favorable the flop is - in this case how would you play a board like:
A rag rag - no spades?
K rag rag - one spade?
Curious to see how you proceed post flop.

BTW - thanks for posting - great idea! AF
Old 11-25-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very interested in why re-raising your ATs against in the BB vs a pretty solid UTG raiser is EV+, I would be calling this as we are in an easily dominated hand, without position agianst a fairly solid UTG raiser.....I call this and play cauitiously depending on how favorable the flop is - in this case how would you play a board like:
A rag rag - no spades?
K rag rag - one spade?
Curious to see how you proceed post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think normally I would call preflop, but in this situation, I think I had an extra edge. I wouldn't call the UTG raiser solid, he was 35/15/1.65 after a huge sample, and although while he isn't bad, he definetly had some problems. The Button was a huge reason for the reraise though. He was 52/10/1.5 after 80, and way too fishy. Against a reasonable range of holdings here, I think I have over 40% equity! Furthermore, I need the initiative, or otherwise I will lose a lot of hands where I was actually ahead of UTG.

If an A comes, I bet until raised, and then call down. If a K comes with a spade, I will probably peel one, and then be done with it.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:07 PM

Default TStoneMBD\'s comments

Here are the comments I got. You guys did awesome at finding the leaks. I appreciate both the fact that I got complements on my good play, and the fact that the problems I had were pretty easy for others to spot out, meaning I had some apparant leaks that are now hopefully gone.

In the video TStone got, there were also some questions I had asked him in a notepad, so don't get confused if he answers something that you can't find anywhere. Overall, I think I learned a lot from this, and I highly recommend it to everyone. TStone did a great job, and although I had a hard time forking over the money, it was well worth the investment.

Here are his comments:

SB 52/8/1 openraises you call in the BB with QT flop is 8xx, he bets you raise

-i love 3betting these hands preflop. you have a strong hand and would rather control the tempo then be put in spots like this. after youve just called preflop i think you should fold this flop. raising is better than calling however. this isnt an easy situation however, i spoke with some good players and i heard different thoughts on this. also realize that at 5/10 the rake in this hand lessens your pot odds and raising or calling is just bleeding money. if you raise however you should check the turn and take the free card.

-i like the river call in the KJ hand. raising might be considered expert to eliminate the guy representing an overpair, but he is very aggressive for his stats along with very loose. its quite possible you have him beat but if he has a larger pair than yours hes probably calling 2 anyway.

-3bet the KQo preflop yes. i also bet the KQ on that rag board because this game is very passive youll see a river card for free.

-i wouldnt bet the KKJ flop if sb was out definitely not. that board is terrible for you with 2 limpers. if they are tight definitely no. stealing pots is overrated.

-you want the tag behind you. its better that way. you want the limpers in front of you so you can isolate them and you want the tags behind you so they dont raise in front of you forcing you to fold otherwise profitable hands.

you raise AQo from the SB, flop is J24, you bet and get a couple callers. turn is a 5. you bet river is a king you check call.

-bet the AQ flop, bet the turn as well. you have a gutshot and need to see the river. the game is passive. i also checkcall this river because the guy is a total idiot.

you raise some limpers with 99 flop is Jxx you bet they call, turn is a blank you bet they call river is an ace

-in the 99 hand there is no reason to value bet this river. betting accomplishes nothing and worse pairs will fold now that the ace hit.

CO limper, SB completes you check in the BB with T8, flop is 963r.

-after the sb checks i would definitely bet this. you have alot of pot equity and this is a good steal flop.

-i like stealing J5s on the button against a 27/11/1.3 BB.

you raise 44 in the HJ with a 48/12/.6 in the BB

-dont raise this there is really no value in such weak hands especially since you cant take it down preflop. i also dont like betting the TJQ flop because its almost impossible you get a fold out of him and almost all players will bet the river after youved checked the turn. you cant realize your equity.

-in the hand with 84o and the SB completse and you check, if the SB checks the flop i will often take a stab at it if its not very coordinated. i think it depends on my image though. if ive been caught stealing some pots i wont bet it, but if im showing strong hands i will.

3 very loose players limp in front of you and you limp on the button with JTo.

-I like this limp. they are so loose and so bad your hand has alot of vlaue.

loose SB completes, you check in the BB with J3s

-i love raising these hands becuase it generates alot of folding equity for you. it also keeps your opponents actions pure. he wont be able to bet flops when hes missed because youve raised preflop. it takes away alot of his folding equity and it builds a pot in position against a terrible player which usually leads to good things.

51/9 limps on the button, you fold A3o in the SB

-complete with this. he raises enough preflop that he is raising Ax hands. you have the only ace at the table right now and there is definitely no reason to be folding.

UTG limps and you have K9o in the HJ

-fold this. K9o is a bad hand. you were talking about openraising this if the UTG player folds. K9o is not a hand you want to be stealing with from the HJ. you have tags behind you who are going to 3bet you alot and you have a very loose player in the BB. you have no folding equity, a bad hand and alot of risk.

47/11/.5 opens on the button, SB 51/9 calls you fold A6o in the BB

-definitely call this. your hand is huge in this situation. defend your blinds more.

against a 59/9 openlimping button i call with 87o. much worse than that and i fold.

you openraise J6s from the button BB a 27/11/1.3 calls. flop is AKK you bet he calls, turn is a Q you bet

-after he calls the flop you need to give up on this hand regardless of what hits the turn. its just far too likely youre beat. once the queen falls you definitely must must check this. the queen completes any gutshot draws and he is certainly not folding. after the river hits its another king and it looked like you were going to bet it. give up man hes got you beat.

sb completes you check in the bb with 68o flop is J9x he checks you bet

-yes bet this. you have a gutshot and no high card strength. pick it up.

you openraise Q9o in CO BB (50/8) calls. flop is 9xx he bets you call, turn is x he bets you raise

-i like waiting for the turn to raise in this hand as well. its a tough spot tho because your hand is vulnerable to overcards. he might checkcall alot of turns is what i mean. still though i think your hand is strong enough to wait. if its any weaker i wouldnt.

-you played the TT hand well. definitely raise that flop. dont wait for the turn. no reason to value bet the river with a diamond and king hitting.

UTG 43/17/2 limps, you fold 9Ts in the HJ

-definitely play this. 9Ts is a monster at this loose table. i would raise it if the BB was tighter but since he is 57vpip i limp it.

you fold in the BB with 46o getting 9:1

-i dont call this. thats a bad hand

-in the 23o hand i wouldnt checkcall that under any means

-easy fold with the QTo facing a CO steal

HJ 35/15/1.6 open raises, BT 52/10 calls, youre in BB with ATs and 3bet

-i like the 3bet. you have alot of preflop equity with the terrible player coldcalling

-dont raise sb completors with hands as bad as J5o unless you have a good reason to.

-fold 57o in the SB facing a tag BB, thats a bad hand especially in a 2/5 structure.

4 limpers to you in the BB and you raise 77

-this is a really close situation and i spoke with some very good posters about this. there was alot of debate but i think raising is correct. we did an equity calculation and it turns out that raising in this situation generates a .25SB profit for us. thats huge. nice raise imo. this would make a great hush thread.

2 limpers you raise AJs from SB bb folds limpers call. flop is Qxx 2 hearts you bet and get 1 caller

-i like following through again the turn if you miss against this 1 caller. if you werent going to follow through on the turn against 1 player you shouldnt have bet the flop.

-in the J3 hand i would normally slow play this but the SB is so aggressive (47/20/2 after 100) that he might play back at you hoping youre stealing. still though i would call and raise turn.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think normally I would call preflop, but in this situation, I think I had an extra edge. I wouldn't call the UTG raiser solid, he was 35/15/1.65 after a huge sample

[/ QUOTE ]

Y_Do_U_Ask is certainly more solid that most 5-10ers. I would guess she (it's a female avatar isn't it? must be a woman then!) is at least a little position aware so a UTG raise in the context of 15% PFR means a hand better than ATs most of the time.

I also don't buy the argument about initiative. You're acting first on the flop. If you want initiative you can get it by betting.

This doesn't mean I think 3-betting ATs is wrong. It's a tiny mistake at the very worst (depends on UTGs hand range), it disguises your holding to some extent, and provides cover for your monster hands.

Guy.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the perspective - I was not taking into account the buttons stats - which I guess I should - AF
Old 11-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: TStoneMBD\'s comments

to clarify, spicy correctly pointed out that i misread the action in the QT hand as the SB completed then called a raise. he didnt raise preflop himself.

in the 44 hand he raised from the CO, not from the HJ.

let me know if anybody disagrees with any of my comments im open to discussion.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:23 PM

[
Y_Do_U_Ask is certainly more solid that most 5-10ers. I would guess she (it's a female avatar isn't it? must be a woman then!) is at least a little position aware so a UTG raise in the context of 15% PFR means a hand better than ATs most of the time.

Agreed - have 2K hands with him/her - little loose preflop but solid post flop - that is part of the reason I would not have 3 bet this....
Old 11-25-2005, 04:58 PM

Unfortuantely, I didn't take careful notes when I watched, as I was in a bit of a hurry. I did write down your starting hands, when there was at least a question in my mind about your play. Those hands - many (if not most) of which have been mentioned by others, include when you started with:

A10s
KJ
KQ
A3
A6
J3

The only hands I really remember are J3 (where you flopped 2 pair or a boat). I believe that decision is pretty darn close, whether to raise flop or wait till turn (if not river).

77: where you raised after bunch of limpers. I really don't feel comfortable doing that, but I can see that decision is pretty close.

Couple of the other hands I know were pf folds, from sb (like with A3). The rest I just can't remember, other than that I had some question or another about them.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:37 PM

This is from memory, so forgive me if I'm wrong. But a 60/25 guy limps in CO(?). Button (?) raises and is something like 50/12. SB folds and you 3bet in the BB with A8s.

I don't think I see much good in 3betting here. If anyone can give me a better argument than "cause you're gonna flop trips," I'd be interested to hear it.