Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Might as well have a racist bashing thread,

WTF is it with these people.

Most seem logic deficient.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Might as well have a racist bashing thread,

There's a difference between : "I think black people are inherently less intelligent and predisposed to becoming criminals."

and

"A violent crime is most likely to be committed by a member of the black community." Or "Black people commit violent crimes at a higher rate than other subpopulations in our country."

One statement is an ignorant statement stemming from a lack of education. The other statement is a statistical truth, and could also be realized through interaction in todays society.

One statement implies that the color of someones skin is the reason they are incapable of helping society, the other simply states what the result and correlation is.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:19 PM

More often I see this

[ QUOTE ]
"A violent crime is most likely to be committed by a member of the black community." Or "Black people commit violent crimes at a higher rate than other subpopulations in our country."

[/ QUOTE ]

cited as evidence to support this

[ QUOTE ]
I think black people are inherently less intelligent and predisposed to becoming criminals."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 PM

"Take that racist!"
Old 09-02-2005, 12:22 PM

The first things is that those looting and shooting are only a small percentage. Most people are just trying to survive and are helping each other as much as they can. I'm not there, but that is pretty clear from the reports I see.

Second, if we go through history I guarantee that we will see that looting, rioting, and generally evil behavior is commmon among all races.

The real travesty of this whole thing is the feeble response by FEMA and the federal government. The Hurricane happened on Monday, we had days of notice, today is Friday and the President is just now getting around to the matter. At least he admitted that they are doing a terrible job.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a difference between : "I think black people are inherently less intelligent and predisposed to becoming criminals."

[/ QUOTE ]
This should read as two statements:

"There is overwhelming objective evidence that black people are inherently less intelligence (on average)", AND
"People with lower levels of intelligence are more likely to turn to crime, and as a group, will commit more crime."

These statements accurately reflect reality in my opinion. I'll start a new thread if you like.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Choosing political considerations over logic and evidence seems more logic deficient to me, however necessary or admirable the choice may be.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:54 PM

Good post, I agree.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:01 PM

There is not overwhelming evidence that blacks have a lower standard of intelligence. There's really very little with which to even measure intelligence. Either way, education levels tend to flow along class lines.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is overwhelming objective evidence that black people are inherently less intelligence (on average)", AND
"People with lower levels of intelligence are more likely to turn to crime, and as a group, will commit more crime."

These statements accurately reflect reality in my opinion. I'll start a new thread if you like.

Quote:

Choosing political considerations over logic and evidence seems more logic deficient to me, however necessary or admirable the choice may be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are citing IQ tests which on average, show a hierarchy of Asian, White, Hispanic, Black.

So I can asume that you also hold the belief that with from an Asian point of view,

"There is overwhelming objective evidence that white, hispanic, and black people are inherently less intelligence (on average)", AND

These statements accurately reflect reality in my opinion.

Correct?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:38 PM

It's late so I'll take this up tomorrow...just a quick response:

[ QUOTE ]
I assume you are citing IQ tests which on average, show a hierarchy of Asian, White, Hispanic, Black.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's part of it. There is other objective evidence which I'll get into later.

[ QUOTE ]
So I can asume that you also hold the belief that with from an Asian point of view,

"There is overwhelming objective evidence that white, hispanic, and black people are inherently less intelligence (on average)", AND

These statements accurately reflect reality in my opinion.

Correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
To a certain extent, however, it increases more rapidly as IQ decreases. And there are other considerations here:

The first point is that the difference between whites and asians isn't that great. The averages are within less than one standard deviation of each other. The difference between white and unmixed race blacks is 2 standard deviations, where there is race mixing it is somewhat smaller. If you understand standard deviation this a very significant difference.

Secondly, below a certain point, the effects of a low IQ begin to seriously impact on societal functioning. Take a 120 and a 150 for example. Both are capable of high functionality in society, the difference in achieving most things in life is negligible, except for elite intellectual pursuits. Similarly, while the difference between 95 and 110 is noticable on a few things, both can easily function well and achieve most things in society/life. However, below 70 is approaching functional retardation. Somewhere between 90 and 70 the effects of a low IQ begin to impact enourmously on real life in modern society. Understanding and achieving at regular schooling becomes difficult. Many academic pursuits become impossible. The ability to create complex plans for the future is diminished. Many jobs, especially those involving complex judgement and multi tasking, become out of reach. In short, as IQ gets lower than 90, the ability to prosper in modern society falls more and more rapidly.

It really is late, I'll do a thread on this tomorrow.