Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: 2+2 article is all wrong? Deception in NL hold em.

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of very poor beginning players overvalue deception and trickery and have a great intuitive understanding of the entire "weak is strong" mentality. Straightforward play against these people is extremely profitable because they will always overthink the hand and make the wrong play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't typically play very high...usually NL $100 or $200. I can't tell you how much it changed my winrate when I learned that. Whenever I have a monster hand, I bet. Slow playing has all but gone by the wayside. I can't tell you how many friends have been watching me and said "Why are you betting that flop?! You have the nuts!". Most of the lower level NL players I've played against will slow play EVERYTHING into oblivion and wonder why they rarely get paid off. Once it becomes obvious that they're beat, they just can't get rid of it. Conversely, the majority of players I encounter anywhere from $50 NL to $200 NL do play strong when they're weak and weak when they're strong. Typically, watching only a few orbits will give me an idea who is who.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 AM

I play low buy in NL a lot and immidiatly thought this article was wrong. 90% of players won't have the Even good players at low levels are usually multitabling and therefore won't notice which bluffs you're showing. I say this even though I do advocate deception at low level NL live where it'll be noticed. Online its just pointless and cost you money.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 AM

Yep - that is the key to low-limit no-limit. I flew through the 25$ - 400$ games because of that concept alone. I have the nuts on the river - OVERBET - nuts on the flop - POT OR MORE - that overthinking mode by bad players made it so you DO NOT have to vary your play much.

I once flopped quad aces on a flop of AAK and got paid off by some guy w/ TT because I fastplayed it. Doesn't seem so easy at 5/10, but if you pick your spots right, it still works. I loved those low-limit games where you never really had to worry about bluffing frequency or stuff like that too much.

I very much agree w/ the first article by Wayward (I think that's who wrote it?). Move in w/ AA preflop once in a while (overbet)- why not?