Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 12:32 AM

Default Maximizing FE or just giving a Free Cards?

WARNING! WARNING! THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT NLHE! WARNING!
Specifically a Stud Hi/Lo SNG, but the concept applies to any limit game.
Bubble of a sit and go
Hero: t700
Big Stack: t 2100
Middle Stack: t1000
Second Stack: t1800
Antes are 25 Bring in 50. Limits 200/400.
Since many of you are unfamiliar with the game, I will not give specific cards, only what the situation is.
SS brings in, folded to Hero who finds a hand he is willing to go all the way with and completes. SS calls, likely just defending his bring in. Villian catches bad on fourth street, and hero stays in the lead.
At this point hero has Approx. t550-575
Do you A: Bet fourth street, and probably get called. Then put another same size bet in to go all in on fifth which will also get called. A situation where the villian is making a mistake to call, but puts you at risk for elimintation.
Or B: Check fourth to make a large bet, both in size and in comparison to the pot to maximize your fold equity.

The call A is bad for villian, but worse for us, but B risks villian making a hand that beats us for free, (or at least takes half the pot in split).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm sorry the post is hard to read, my thoughts are jumbled right now.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Maximizing FE or just giving a Free Cards?

You have to lead on the turn with the max bet.

Since you are willing to go all the way with the hand, this is your only real opportunity to get the best of both worlds. (He folds and you win, or he calls/whiffs.) You still have FE and can bet him out on the River).

If the River is a miracle card for Villain, you will know that you played the hand correctly and got unlucky.

Do not allow free cards to your opponent in a drawing game when you hold the best hand. Especially on the turn.

SlakcerMcIMHO
Old 11-05-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WARNING! WARNING! THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT NLHE! WARNING!

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you have put that in the subject perhaps?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:38 AM

While I like the idea of maximizing your fold equity I dont think you are in good enough shape to try this play here. Since the pot is HU if you check behind and he catches good and you catch bad you are suddenly in a coinflip situation. I think you just have to jam it here because he really isnt in good enough shape that he should be chasing to try and knock you out. If he loses here he is suddenly tied for last place assuming you scoop so hopefully he would have enuogh common sense to fold.