Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2005, 09:38 AM

Default 1/2 NL games seem better on weekdays

I played 1/2 NL in AC on weekadays recently. I played at the Taj, Trop, and Ballys (1/3), and made a good profit each time. My best result was playing at Ballys around noon for about an hour, when I doubled up against an aggressive player with a big stack with a set versus aces up. I would have made a lot more at the Trop, but I lost a big pot when someone called my preflop KK reraise with 72s and flopped trips. I mostly play MTTs and SNGs online, but I was thinking I could play live NL for a living and could maybe play at a higher level once I got used to it. I like games, but I don't particularly like gambling, and you have to get used to losing $400 on one hand sometimes, as well as the wild play in these live NL games.

Anyway, I went down yesterday (Saturday) to AC. I started playing at the Trop around 1 PM. Everyone at my table talked about how tight the play was, so I asked for a table change, and the other table was just as tight. So I play limit holdem for a while, figuring the NL games would be better in the evening. I break even at limit. I find limit cash games boring. Then I go back to NL and again I have a tight table. I request a table change and the other one was just as bad. I go over to the Taj, because I figure I won't have to wait long for a table there. I get seated immediately at 1/2 NL. This table was even tighter than at the Trop. I made $20 in an hour there (after losing a little at the Trop). I made my money by raising and picking up the blinds and limpers or getting one caller who folded on the flop.

There are not many pros or retirees in 1/2 NL. I figure those groups make other games tougher on weekdays. I had never seen live NL games like this, particularly at these blinds. Usually they are really wild. I figure that the loose fish cause a lot of the games to be wilder and that the good players adjust and make bigger raises, are more willing to call or limp preflop with speculative hands, and are less likely to assume they are beaten facing big postflop bets. Without the loose players, the games just becomes a normal tighter game.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL games seem better on weekdays

you are simply not good enough to adjust properly

it is not difficult to loosen a table up
Old 05-01-2005, 12:51 PM

to quote scrub: 1/2 nl is the new 1-3 stud.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:46 PM

The tighter game probably suits your style better. "Good enough" to change gears or not, if that's where you can pick up money then play in it. My style is much more suited to wild, crazy games with the insane variance and higher profit. I am learning how to adjust to a tighter game now, I believe it's valuble practice for moving up.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to quote scrub: 1/2 nl is the new 1-3 stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to elaborate? thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 04:48 PM

Garden of 60 year-old grouchy nutpeddling rocks who sit around all day waiting to bust some poor sap. The comparison to 1-3 stud is probably made because that game is often played without an ante and just a .50 or 1 dollar force, making ubertight play essentially correct.