Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Grade the drafts of the Brown Trout Yahoo League

[ QUOTE ]

I have to admit that I don't understand why RB's should be taken so early. Under this scoring system, last year, there were five QB who scored more points than the highest scoring runningback, so I don't see what's so bad about taking QB's early.

[/ QUOTE ]

The value of player in FF is not how many points they score, but how many more or less points than your opponents player at the same position scores. It doesn't matter if your QB scores 100 points a game if everybody's QB scores 100 pts/game.

A simple example comparing two teams and two positions will illustrate this very clearly:

You used your 1st and 5th rd picks to get your starting QB and 2nd RB. Fred Taylor's groin filled these same positions using his 2nd rd pick and his 7th rd pick (Jackson & Carr). Let's compare:

Using some common projections with your scoring system, McNabb will score about 20pts/game, Droughns will score about 5pts/game. Carr will score about 16 pts/game and Jackson will score about 12pts/game.

Thus, Fred Taylor's 2nd and 7th round picks are expected to outscore your 1st and 5th round picks by about 3 pts/game - a pretty big advantage considering both his picks were quite a bit after yours.