Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 11:04 PM

Default What Have You Done That Needed Courage?

What is courage? I've heard the word many times before but it seemed phony so I didn't pay it much attention. It does have a real place to be used though, and is important. Thinking about it now it seems like something that is tough, or scary for a person to do. This is what dictionary.com says:

The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery

The closest I come is my decision to hike on the appalachian trail. A freshmen not liking college too much it would have been easy to keep doing that and stay in next semester and just hang out in my room in the computer, but inspite of that, and the idea of going to Georgia by myself to hike in the woods on my own at the end of winter (my dad said this was dangerous and I needed experience to do it safely, I ignored this and it turned out to be untrue). That was hard for me and besides a couple of other personal things that required small amounts of courage the only thing I can think about. So not much really.

Any thoughts on courage? What have you done that required courage?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: What Have You Done That Needed Courage?

[ QUOTE ]
What is courage? I've heard the word many times before but it seemed phony so I didn't pay it much attention. It does have a real place to be used though, and is important. Thinking about it now it seems like something that is tough, or scary for a person to do. This is what dictionary.com says:

The state or quality of mind or spirit that enables one to face danger, fear, or vicissitudes with self-possession, confidence, and resolution; bravery

The closest I come is my decision to hike on the appalachian trail. A freshmen not liking college too much it would have been easy to keep doing that and stay in next semester and just hang out in my room in the computer, but inspite of that, and the idea of going to Georgia by myself to hike in the woods on my own at the end of winter (my dad said this was dangerous and I needed experience to do it safely, I ignored this and it turned out to be untrue). That was hard for me and besides a couple of other personal things that required small amounts of courage the only thing I can think about. So not much really.

Any thoughts on courage? What have you done that required courage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pulled two men out a car (one died and one was missing a leg) after a high speed frontal collision whith gasoline leaking out of the car while the front was on fire.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 PM

I got caught in the ice up at 16,000 feet in a Turbo Seminole at night once. I had a full 1" covering the leading edges, props, tail(!), etc. Basically, everything wrong that could happen DID happen. I had a nasty headwind, at night, over the mountains, with solid IFR covering the whole area below me. There were no precision approaches within 100+ miles of my position either.

Bad planning and execution by me, but I lived.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got caught in the ice up at 16,000 feet in a Turbo Seminole at night once. I had a full 1" covering the leading edges, props, tail(!), etc. Basically, everything wrong that could happen DID happen. I had a nasty headwind, at night, over the mountains, with solid IFR covering the whole area below me. There were no precision approaches within 100+ miles of my position either.

Bad planning and execution by me, but I lived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious as to what part of that experience you considered courageous? The fact that you didn't just intentionally fly into a mountain and "end it all"? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious as to what part of that experience you considered courageous? The fact that you didn't just intentionally fly into a mountain and "end it all"? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Had to get the damn plane on the ground, chief. I guess I kinda HAD to, but doing it without being in a panic is what was courageous to me. *shrugs* [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Had to get the damn plane on the ground, chief. I guess I kinda HAD to, but doing it without being in a panic is what was courageous to me. *shrugs* [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that fits the dictionary definition: (courage -
The quality of mind enabling one to face danger or hardship resolutely)

The question is, could you have avoided getting into that situation in the first place?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is courage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am only familiar with Dutch Courage.

Works for me. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 11:35 PM

Well, this one time I did owe my roommate a favor. He was talking to this chick at the bar, and she had this big fat friend...
Old 08-13-2005, 11:41 PM

that requires beer goggles not courage
Old 08-13-2005, 11:46 PM