Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 12:49 AM

Default New to Stud, some help?

Could someone give me a sort of basic outline like SSHE's starting hand hold'em guide? Some basic starting hands, and how does one calculate %'s quickly in stud for each street? For Hold'em I used the Out's(2) +2 metheod. help please? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: New to Stud, some help?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&st=*
Old 05-29-2005, 12:57 AM

Stud isnt like small stakes hold em where you can auto pilot the whole way. How loose you play depends on the structure of the game and how live your cards are. Generally you want to play live 3 flushs and 3 straights any rolled up hands like TTT and high pocket pairs. Carefull with the 3 straights - they are like the AQ of holdem were you can easily make a 2nd best hand.

Also get the books BRL recommended immediatly.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Hello,Nick! Before U attempt to study the...advanced version...

carefully read and study "Seven Card Stud" by Roy West.
This book is extremely valuable for beginners and low mid-limit players (Micro limit to 10/20).
After carefully reading and studying Roy's book,proceed to the advanced book by RayZee,Malmuth,and Sklansky.
The advanced book(for players from 15/30 to 40/80) assumes a thorough understanding of the basic principles of 7stud.
After many hours of practising,purchase "The Theory of Poker" to complete your education.
Remember,what U read are GUIDELINES--every poker situation is different. Hence,U will need to occasionally modify some guidelines.

"....it is important to stay away from hands that won't do well in multiway pots. For example,usually don't limp in with (9d 4s)9h,especially if one of your cards is out."
From "Seven Card Stud For Advanced Players"
A beginning student who follows this advice and is playing limits lower than 15/30 usually makes a mistake by following this advice.
RayZee,Malmuth , and Sklansky are making several assumptions that are NOT explicitly stated in order for the above quote to be correct. The FIRST assumption is that U are playing in a 15/30 or higher limit game.
The SECOND assumption is that U are NOT in late position where U EXPECT a raise and / or re-raise from aggressive Oppos who are usually playing at these 15/30-40/80 limits. However,it's NOT that common for players without higher upcards to raise/re-raise at the lower limits. On the other hand ,it is very common for the upper mid-limit games.
Unless u are aware of these underlying assumptions,u will be confused by reading some passages in the advanced book.
So start off with West--It's a great book to learn the basics and some odds of completing your hands.
HappyPokering,
SittingBull
Old 05-29-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Hello,Nick! Before U attempt to study the...advanced version...

I own TOP, SSHE, and HEFAP, got lot's of Sklansky experience here, thanks for that Roy west recommendation, sounds like a good buy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2005, 03:37 PM

Mahmood Mahmood in his book, "The Science of Poker" suggests using a PC of 2.5x#outs for 4th and 5th streets and 3x#outs on 6th street for a rough estimate of probability.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:07 PM

I don't recommend West. Since it sounds like you've studied poker some, you can go straight to 7CS4AP.

Starting hand strategy is far too complicated to sum up in a handy little chart. This kind of question does get asked a lot, so you might want to look through old posts.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't recommend West. Since it sounds like you've studied poker some, you can go straight to 7CS4AP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I'm a winning low-limit HE player, I found 7CSFAP to be a bit over my head. In addition, I was told by a mid-high limit stud player than this book isn't very appropriate for the low limit games anyway, due to the ante structure and the extreme chasing nature of the game.

Should I just try to borrow and read Reese's chapter in SS1? Or are there any other texts for low-limit games you might recommend?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:46 AM

I think Roy West's book is kinda useless. Just a bunch of advice you'd already have a feel for from playing so much hold em. And a lotta crap about folding 2 pair or whatever.

I don't think u can really learn stud the same way you learn hold 'em. In hold 'em, a player can read lee jones' book, and ed miller's and go straight to being a winning player. I think in stud, you kinda gotta get your feet wet and your hands dirty and figure things out a little on your own. We don't have poker tracker or player view, and you have to make adjustments based on ante size, and bring in size.

To start out with, as long as you play good starting hands on 3rd street, u won't get in too much trouble. Good starting hands:
1.) Big pairs
2.) 3 flushes
3.) Small pairs, nice kickers
4.) live 3 straights with bigger cards

If you are playing lower limits (.5/1), you should add in any pair, and maybe some other junk like 3 big cards.