Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: What Have You Done That Needed Courage?

Defended my GF against two drunken 40-year-olds, each of whom weighed more than 200 lbs, when I was 17 weighing about 150lbs, late at night, under a railroad bridge, and the streetlights were out and no one was around...

... I was scared shitless, if that matters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 PM

Defended myself from my girlfriend's lunatic boyfriend who broke into my house and stabbed me. Although in a situation like that, it's hard to say what's courageous, since I didn't really have time to be scared.

That's actually how it's always been for me in near-death incidents. But I think that life-preserving instinct has something to do with courage. Not quite the same as screwing up the guts to put yourself in a situation like that voluntarily, but not folding under pressure is worth something IMO.

NT
Old 08-14-2005, 02:32 PM

Rafting a river in near flood conditions, one of the guides stuffed his line on the hardest rapid where I was covering and lost three customers, one of which went swimming into the biggest sieve on the river, (a sieve is more or less a point where water flows under some rocks. You go under the rocks, the water comes out but you don't. This sieve you could have fit a bus under.) Two of the customers get swept around it but this one chick is going right for the bastard. I'm standing on the shore with a rope in my hand, she's 5 meters away, I throw and I literally hit her in the head, she flails and misses the rope completely and is taken under by a current. She resurfaces just in front of the sieve and then in she goes. Except she's not in. I can just see the yellow of her lifejacket sticking out of the sieve and without even thinking I'm diving in the river and swimming straight for her. At the last moment I grab her lifejacket and throw my body to the left, praying like hell that I wouldn't go in. I don't but I'm left hanging onto her jacket as she's still in the entrance to the sieve. Slowly with the force of water helping me, I manage to pull her out. We're swept down another 100 meters of swollen river before I can get us both to the shore. I start getting her to breathe again and then the other guides arrive and take over.

And then my legs start shaking. Really shaking.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Pulling two dead bodies out of the carribbean sea. I was there for six months and used to go for sunset jogs along this totally perfect beach and was best part of a kilometre from civilisation when i saw two bodies (on closer inspection) lying face down in the sand water lapping over them. And I'll tell u something, bodies are HEAVY, it was no small task dragging them up the beach.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:25 PM

Performed CPR on my mother the day she died.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pulling two dead bodies out of the carribbean sea. I was there for six months and used to go for sunset jogs along this totally perfect beach and was best part of a kilometre from civilisation when i saw two bodies (on closer inspection) lying face down in the sand water lapping over them. And I'll tell u something, bodies are HEAVY, it was no small task dragging them up the beach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do that? Why not just leave them there and go get help.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:29 PM

oh geez that's horribly sad. Damn.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:54 PM

sponger why can't you answer the question yourself?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:17 PM

too many things to list them all...but the thing thats oddly taken the most courage but the least time of me reflecting or thinking on it is learning about and dealing with a chronic/possibly terminal issue within my body

other things have been...
leaving everything i know and going basically alone to a 3rd world country and not speakin the language
hiking the for weeks at a time
learning to do all the new things ive tried - from whitewater rafting to repelling
my mom having a heart attack
raising my 2 younger brothers while i was in college for some time
being confronted with a bear in the middle of nowhere
dealing with someone being hurt badly and unconscious
finding out im lost in the middle of the national forest

hahah and many other things...i guess its all how u look at it...but for me these r all times where i had choices majorly looming over me that were going to result in a massive outcome...i had to push down and ignore anything negative and focus no matter what...inside me thats courage
Old 08-14-2005, 05:24 PM

Had kids.