Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Straight pool

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that you have the old metal-to-metal style (metal bands around both butt and shaft). You might want to mention that when you call. Is it made out of an old Titlist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that would change things. I thought his joint was the same for all his cues.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:42 PM

Yes, metal bands around both the butt and shaft at the joint. What the problem is is that the joint screw in the shaft loosened up over the years and eventually started working its way out every time I tightened the cue. The other shaft is OK but I would really like to get the one repaired.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jersey Nick,

How many years ago did you play there? I have never been there but there was a guy who opened a pool hall in SE Minnesota in the early 80's who used to have a pool hall somewhere near/in Chicago called Bob's Billiards.

Also, did you ever have any experience with Ray Schuler? My cue was built by Ray around 1983 or 84. It's built to the specs of the billiard cue that Cuelemans used for years. I know Ray Schueler died a few years ago so I'm a little leery to send one of my shafts there for joint repair now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I started playing at Chris's in 88 before they expanded the room but it wasn't my usual stop. I would only play there once or twice a month. My regular place to play was a burger joint with 10 gold crowns in Rogers park. It closed down not too long after I left in '95. Bob's sounds familiar, but I never played there.

Never met Ray but he sure made beautiful cues. I played with an antique Viking and an old Meucci. Good luck with the repairs. That must be one helluva stick.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 PM

I've been shooting for about 13 years (since i was 15). I've never really played much Straight Pool. But practicing one day, I was able to get an 81 ball run.

I witnessed a friend run somewhere around 160. Can't remember the exact #.

I have put together two 6 packs (run 6 tables in a row) and 1 time ran 7 in a row in a ring game.

I used to practice for hours every day and had aspirations of becoming a road man or a pro.

A couple things led me to change my thinking:

1.) I don't like pool players. Once you get to a certain level they are all coked up assholes.

2.) I burnt myself out. I wasn't a natural so I had to practice all the time.

3.) Tony Watson strolls in a pool hall about 7 or 8 years ago. He was trying to hustle up a game, but I knew who he was. I talked him into playing for $5/game (WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY below what he plays for these days). This man is on another level. No way I can touch these guys.

I had a "chemical" player tell me once that if he did an 8 ball of cocaine, he could spot God the 8 ball.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that you have the old metal-to-metal style (metal bands around both butt and shaft). You might want to mention that when you call. Is it made out of an old Titlist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that would change things. I thought his joint was the same for all his cues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the metal bands are more cosmetic than functional--they're not an integral part of the joint. He didn't make that style long.

It's nice to walk in a 3C room with an oldstyle metal-to-metal Schuler, however. It may even effect the prices, if anyone collects them. Here's my baby, cut out of an old Titlist in '82 to Cueleman specs.

Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 PM

That looks almost identical to mine except I have a leather wrap. I think my joints are more of a brass color too. If I have a chance I'll post some pictures later tonight.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:11 PM

Since it's just a shaft I wouldn't panic. I might worry about sending the nice titleist butt in though. I would get you a regular current model schuler and save the old one.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my joints are more of a brass color too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen the original Ceuleman cue and it had brass-colored joints, and, I believe, a leather wrap. You've got a treasure.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:15 PM

Man, you're making me feel like I should never shoot with this thing again! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I don't play very seriously anymore, just on a mixed couples pool league in the winter and on occasional game of 3-cushion. Maybe I should consider a new one and put the original one away.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:24 PM

I play with mine every chance I get, which isn't nearly as often as I'd like. I think their real beauty is in their funcionality, not as their potential to be museum pieces. If it hits sweet, play with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]