Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Straight pool

[ QUOTE ]
My best at straight pool is 12. I've yet to run a 9-ball rack out though (ie no 9ball combos count). That pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

keep working at it. I'm pretty good when compared with other amateurs, but never really played 9 ball, and only started recently being able to run out a rack of 9...the more you play the easier it'll come, trust me...
Old 08-04-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How about billiards? I had an old timer show me the break the other day, and after he tried it 4 or 5 times, i took a try and hit it on my second attempt. I think I could really get into that game...

[/ QUOTE ]

I fooled around on a billiards table at hollywood on market in SF a few times. it was fun. it's not quite as hard as you expect, but it's still damned hard. but to make it more enjoyable at first, you can play 1 cushion instead of 3 cushion, or even straight rail (no cushion necessary). if you actually get good, straight rail becomes a very different game, where you learn to "nurse" the balls, never having them move more than a fraction of an inch and making huge runs. but if you're curious about billiards I highly recommend two videos from accustats: semih sayginer's artisitic billiards exhibition (3-cush trick shots with masse's and various incredible astounding things) and blomdahl v. ceulemans 1996 which is considered the greatest 3-cushion performance (avg 4/inning) ever (unless probably blomdahl's topped himself...).

[/ QUOTE ]

Get their Balkline tape. If you are a serious player, you'll be astounded. I've lent it to "A" pool players who have never been on a billiard table and had trouble getting it back. I've lent it to "B" players and it's come back the next day with about three minutes viewed on the un-rewound tape.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to love me some 3 cushion at Chris's Billiards in Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jersey Nick,

How many years ago did you play there? I have never been there but there was a guy who opened a pool hall in SE Minnesota in the early 80's who used to have a pool hall somewhere near/in Chicago called Bob's Billiards.

Also, did you ever have any experience with Ray Schuler? My cue was built by Ray around 1983 or 84. It's built to the specs of the billiard cue that Cuelemans used for years. I know Ray Schueler died a few years ago so I'm a little leery to send one of my shafts there for joint repair now.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that might deserve its own thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Great stories come out of pool halls.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:19 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to send your schuler in for repair. Their joints are the same as ever. You can also just order shafts from them with whatever taper you want. I have a cue from them and had an easy time ordering. Had a nice conversation w/ Mrs. Schuler BTW, she is still around. Not my favorite cue, but the company is around and you should have no trouble with a new shaft or three. I ordered mine after Ray died BTW FWIW
Old 08-04-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

semih is ridiculous...i saw a clip on the web...the masse which bounces back and forth in the corner about 8 times? crazy....i might have see some of blomdahl's match as well, i definitely know both names....if it was more accessible i'd certainly try it out....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put the tape in today. it's been a few years. the most astounding to me were the whipping stroke shots where he can hit with full power with the balls a quarter inch or less apart (without double hitting NB).

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Semi shoot this shot when he was in Vegas (99?). He executed it, then repeated it with golf balls. He also shot the full-table masse down the long rail with golf balls. Got about eight rails (the long rail eight times) before it came zipping back six diamonds for the count.

To me, the most astonishing thing on Semi's trick shot tape is when he gets eight or so balls going around the table at once. Try it some time.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:22 PM

HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the threshold in straight pool is 42 - 3 racks. I can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, but I've always heard that getting into the fourth rack is the biggie.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HDPM,

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. I spoke with someone there last year and they didn't sound too savvy so I wanted to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that you have the old metal-to-metal style (metal bands around both butt and shaft). You might want to mention that when you call. Is it made out of an old Titlist?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:37 PM

I should clarify maybe. If I had a cue made by Ray himself I'd treat it differently than a current production schuler. If the butt needed repair I would be more concerned than if I could just send a shaft in or order up some new shafts. If I liked the schuler hit and the shaft options and only wanted a playing cue, I'd get another one and leave the one made by ray in the case most of the time. I was comfortable dealing with them, but I think I can also see why you hesitated after speaking to one of their current guys. It reminded me I had a slight problem w/ one of them, but my overall experience was fine and I enjoyed talking to Mrs. Schuler.