Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-09-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Philosophy Book Club, Part Deux

Okay, I didn't exactly take part in the last one, but I'm willing to begin anew if others will join in. Since nobody else followed up with any new texts, I'd like to make some suggestions. How about an atheist this time? My choices are Camus, Nietzsche, or Foucault. Reply if you want to join in or offer suggestions.

Also, I haven't found any online texts by these authors yet (I haven't looked), so if you come across any post a link on here. I'll start looking........ Now.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Philosophy Book Club, Part Deux

Project Gutenburg

This is a website with many online texts. You won't find new books on it, but you will find books that have past thier copywrite dates and are general public use. I know they have a few Nietzsche texts.

Melch
Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 AM

Thanks Melch, I found Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil. Here is a link. Hopefully a few people are interested.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext03/bygdv10.txt
Old 12-09-2005, 03:55 AM

Yeah, I'll get in on this one. I was not smart enought to get past the prelude on Part 1. I am full of hope that I can understand Part 2.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:37 AM

I graduated from St. John's College and I must say, the concept of an online book discussion forum is quite perplexing. Sounds seriously tedious....It's hard enough discussing philosohpical works when the people are in the room. Most discussions that take place on 2+2 never have posts that read "That is exactly what I mean, we're not disagreeing." Which is quite commonplace in philosophical discusions due to the linguistic nature of philosophical inquiry.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:18 PM

Well, I find SMP to have some meaningful discussions. I think you'll find that the majority of posters here are, shall we say, more respectful than posters elswhere on twoplustwo.