Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: O/8 Playing for High/Bet the flop?

Ouch, I thought the part about the 9 was spot on. Some people play Omaha becuase they don't like the aggresiveness needed in holdem. Just think that if you are playing high only and the flop comes high only you should always try bet. If people always know what you have you aren't ever gonna win a tourney.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:34 PM

Clear check-fold.
You're way behind more than one person right now and you're basically hoping for a non-spade Q. That's three outs that may be no good by the river.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:43 PM

I would play a hand with a 9 in it from late position. For example, 9TJQ from the button, with many limpers.

However, I would not always bet a two-high, one-low flop. For example, if a KK2 flop checked to me with that hand, I would not bet.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would play a hand with a 9 in it from late position. For example, 9TJQ from the button, with many limpers.

However, I would not always bet a two-high, one-low flop. For example, if a KK2 flop checked to me with that hand, I would not bet.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I can tell that what I'm saying can be misgrasped. Clearly the hand is a fold on the flop. But if it was a legit high hand then my advice works fine as a SOP. I'll play QJT9ds, might even put in a raise with all those limpers. QJT9r is a muck. Not sure what I do with the other ones. Can you think of another 9 high hand that's not a muck? KK2 isn't really the kind of flop I'm talking about. The point is that 9 in a High only hand is an exception. Most of the 9 high hands aren't playable. As far as a pair plus low flop, I don't think you could be to wrong to bet it, provided sometimes you actually have the K.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 AM

Cappalletti's idea of betting high hands when you get a high flop works better when the high flop does not contain an Ace. The Ace will hit all the low hands, giving them at least a pair and possibly two pair. This greatly reduces your chance of picking up the pot. The Ace also makes it not an all high flop but a one low card flop. So you will get called by people trying for a backdoor low.

I would check this flop. If the position of the Ace and King were switched (Ace in your hand with a K T 9 flop), I would be more inclined to bet.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:16 PM

I have found that Capaletti's idea of being aggressive on high only flops certainly has some validity.But it seems to me that more moderarion is needed in the application than he shows in his book.This example,with the flop containing an A,a poor fit,bad position,& such a large field misses the mark by a mile,imo.