Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Most difficult form of poker?

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously not.

Stop farming the collective genius of twoplustwo and come up with your own ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was brilliant haha

anyway by far the hardest game is limit holdem
Old 11-15-2005, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I'm leaning towards pot-limit omaha 8 because on the river you often have to make a tough laydown with second best hands, although often the bettor is making an elimination play when he's betting with one-way nuts and trying to eliminate a marginal (but better than his) hand the other way. Or in a multi-way pot a guy might be betting a a strong (but non-nut) hand both ways to get somebody with a stronger hand one way to fold.

I agree that a fish busts quickest in a 7-card hi-lo split game with no qualifier, because he will get constantly free-rolled, but the basic skills in that game are relatively simple compared to some other games, IMO (the fish lack the basic skills obviously).
Old 11-15-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of it.

By "most difficult" I also mean in which game would an amatuer get absolutely destroyed by a skilled player?

For example, in a heads up no-limit hold'em freezout with not-too-deep stacks, an idiot could beat Phil Ivey probably 25-30% of the time just by going all-in pre-flop every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate to bump this thread, but I am having a really [censored] day at work, so wtf not..

Anyhow, this argument is ridiculous.. that would suggest that any no-limit game takes less skill to beat than any limit/pot-limit game. Actually, i think No-Limit holdem takes the most skill because there is so much variance and so much depends on reading the player and not on your own cards/board.

I think you could write a computer program that could beat pot limit Omaha8 a lot easier than you could write one to beat NL holdem. That game is so much about position and starting hands that the really tough river decisions are much less important. Most of your profit can come from having people drawing dead after the flop and still calling your bets.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 PM

I grew up playing 7-stud hi/lo with my uncles -- river, bet, declare, bet. You can go both ways but if you lose either, obviously you lose it all. Awesome game, the online 7s H/L seems like a weak comparison to me.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:23 PM

I've heard it said that pot-limit is actually more difficult than no-limit, because in the former you have to manage the size of the pot to give yourself the ability to bet big on a later street. This means having to raise early with a speculative hand so you have a chance of getting all-in when you make the nuts on the turn or river.

I lack the mathematical mojo to make an authoritative judgement over whether a pot-limit flop game is more likely to bust the pigeons than limit 7CS H/L. It also depends on what you mean by "pigeon."

Good luck on your paper.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:32 PM

I read this a couple of years ago. It depends on your view of the important decisions.

1) If the gating factor is the complexity of the important decisions - Limit Hold'em

2) If it's the impact of the important decisions - NL Hold'em

3) If its the frequency of important decisions - High-low declare.

I don't know if I agree with this 100%, but it is an interesting way to view the game.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 PM

By "most difficult" I also mean in which game would an amatuer get absolutely destroyed by a skilled player?

Different question. The game in which the expert has the biggest edge over a novice is Stud/8.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:45 PM

[/ QUOTE ] I really hate to bump this thread, but I am having a really [censored] day at work, so wtf not..

Anyhow, this argument is ridiculous.. that would suggest that any no-limit game takes less skill to beat than any limit/pot-limit game. Actually, i think No-Limit holdem takes the most skill because there is so much variance and so much depends on reading the player and not on your own cards/board.

I think you could write a computer program that could beat pot limit Omaha8 a lot easier than you could write one to beat NL holdem. That game is so much about position and starting hands that the really tough river decisions are much less important. Most of your profit can come from having people drawing dead after the flop and still calling your bets.

Just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say no skill is involved in no limit but in NL freeze out so much of the skill advantage of a better player can be negated by just going all in every hand. Ironically , Mike Sexton actually wrote an article about this in the recent issue of cardplayer where he actuallly said a pro would only be a 2:1 favorite against someone's whos never played poker before because the novice can just keep going all in. He also said Pot Limit is much more difficult than NL.

Not sure i'd agree exactly with sexton on the odds but overall i agree with this.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of it.

For example, in a heads up no-limit hold'em freezout with not-too-deep stacks, an idiot could beat Phil Ivey probably 25-30% of the time just by going all-in pre-flop every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any type of hi/low game - skilled players destroy rookies given enough hands to play.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 03:41 AM

This is not at all an easy question to answer. Different games may be more difficult in different ways. For instance one game may be more difficult for a begginer to learn, while another more difficult for the advanced player to master. You probably need to make the question more specific in order to come up with a decent answer.