Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Need Help with Weak Kickers

This type of thing happens to me a lot - I frequently play Axs and Kxs from early position at LAP $0.5/$1 PP tables, and often find myself in this unfortunate position.

I am loathe to check/fold given the number of people who will play absolute crap at these tables, but I am always afraid of the better kicker.

Thoughts? Advice?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

This is where I think I maybe play this wrong - should I check here? I really hate checking on the turn, given how many people will fold to a turn bet, but...

River: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

The pot is now big, so I call.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 04-01-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Need Help with Weak Kickers

I like your flop and turn bet, i would fold the turn on this raise, the pot is very small and he could of slowplayed a set or he just caught 2 pair. Also depends on reads, if he is a rock, definatly fold to the raise.

Just realized you just limped UTG+1 with this hands, easy easy fold preflop.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 PM

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that te table was lose enough to limp this...I think I would want like at least 45% table VPIP, with very little raising going on.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 PM

Play it like you have the best hand until someone tells you otherwise. In this case someone told you otherwise on the turn. I can't possibly see you as ahead on this hand, unless Villain is a huge bluffer. He probably was slowplaying a set or just made two pair. Easy fold on the turn.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play it like you have the best hand until someone tells you otherwise. In this case someone told you otherwise on the turn. I can't possibly see you as ahead on this hand, unless Villain is a huge bluffer. He probably was slowplaying a set or just made two pair. Easy fold on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

this too.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:45 PM

Yeah I don't think you should be playing this out of EP. Try it in LP.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:49 PM

You have to start folding these in EP....

It's not so much a kicker issue, as it is a position issue. Being OOP, you cannot predict what will happen behind you after you bet (or check). Playing Ax or Kx, especially with poor kickers, leaves you in grey area of "is my hand good?"

Now, having position on the field helps alleviate this quandry...you get to see what everyone does before getting involved. You can bet out if it's checked around to you. You can raise if somebody directly to your right bets, and make eveyone else pay two bets to continue, increasing your winning chances. You can fold if it gets bet and raised in front of you.

This is why you should fold marginal hands in EP (and Kxs IS a marginal PF holding). You are forced to make difficult decisions BEFORE any of the other bettors. Don't put yourself in that spot.

Rich
Old 04-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Appreciate thoughts.

I only play Kxs in LP when I first get to the table, but as it becomes apparent that it is LP I start playing them earlier and earlier. Not too worried about getting raised at that point.

But I see the excellent point about simply being in bad position with a marginal hand. That definitely makes a difference.

But, given that I played the hand, it seems that the consensus is that I bet-bet, but fold to the raise. Makes sense. BTW, this guy was fairly new to the table and I had no read on him.

Thanks, guys. Will adjust my play accordingly.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]