Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-10-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #3 (Degen)

[ QUOTE ]
Would have been interesting to see the reception this post have gotten if it wasn't curtains who played the hand.

Or if you switched hero and villain and asked people what they thought of villains call with Q high.

[/ QUOTE ]

That shouldn't really affect the replies. A lot of players here are good enough to look at hands without bias from factors like that.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:22 PM

Well 2 things to consider.

1) What will curtains value bet range be here. I'd think any jack or better is a reasonable range.

2) How often will he bluff with a better hand? Ace high, underpair to the board, maybe bluff with a 7.

Don't play with curtains so have no idea.

-Jason
Old 12-10-2005, 02:27 PM

I agree it shouldn't. I'm not sure it wouldn't though. If people don't like the play here, they will probably say so, but add that it can be ok/that it might be good with reads/that they don't hate it/etc

If some random guy posted it the replies would be much harsher, if people think it's a bad play. Not that it's a big problem or anything, or even wrong at all. Just find it interesting. We take the information we have and form an opinion. Here knowing curtains played the hand is part of that information.

Continue the poker discussion though. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Really looking forward to hearing the reasoning for this play. Interesting hand. I've never made a call like this, ever.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:30 PM

Is this the same super LAG villian as in the other hand? If he's a donk and is normally very aggressive, I really wouldn't call the river.

I might push preflop depending on how likely I thought a call was.

If you really wanted to justify a call on the river you could probably think he would raise preflop with an ace and probably a king. JK or 8 would probably bet the flop. Only hands that beat your are 8 that checks the flop and slowplays the turn or a 7 AND 125 chips don't mean anything to him.

I still don't like calling on the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:38 PM

what about pushing preflop? if SB had a smaller stack..
Old 12-10-2005, 02:40 PM

I think it's a good call. If he wins it half the time, then it's plus $EV. The most compelling reason to call is his stack size. If he folds (7BB) or loses (6BB), he'll be in the exact same situation--Push mode. If he calls ands win he'll have 10BB and be able to play a little poker, not much but some.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) What will curtains value bet range be here. I'd think any jack or better is a reasonable range.

2) How often will he bluff with a better hand? Ace high, underpair to the board, maybe bluff with a 7.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains is the one who called.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

curtains is the one who called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was just trying to say to look at it from the other guys point of view.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:34 PM

In any case, I barely even thought about this one...the way the guy was playing a big hand didn't make a lot of sense to me, nor did a mediocre hand that beats Q high, but that the huge stack randomly decided to check both the flop and turn. I didn't think he would limp preflop with Ace high or that he would now bet a seven, so I actually felt the chances were quite good that I was ahead. Sometimes I get carried away with my Q high and J high calls (Ive made some bad ones), but I'm right more than I'm wrong.

I sent a ridiculous terrible hand to bluefeet where I called with jack high on the river, which was by far the worst hand of the day, but that hand is much different than this one. Thank goodness he didn't post it, its unbelievably hopelessly bad.

Another good thing about knowing someone will see all my hands, is it encourages me to not do mindless stuff like that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Well it didn't work this time, but maybe in the future...
Old 12-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Also I think my opponent in this hand had 4 or 3 high or something like that.