Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Default A9o in the SB. Whats your play?

So here it. $5 buy in on Paradise. 1200+ players to start. Down to 380ish, nearing the 2nd break. I dont have the hand history, sorry. One limper in MP with T5400, Hero in SB with T7800, BB has 1400. Blinds are 200/400/50 ante.

I have A9o and have been playing tight and this is my table image as well, so i think. One limper, table folds to me and I raise the BB all-in. BB Folds limper calls. Flop is 2 9 K.

What is your play here? I led out with a 2/3 pot size bet. After long delay, limper calls.

Turn: K

Now what? (I put this guy on JT or QJ by the way) I bet the pot and again, limper delays and calls.

River: Q

HMM? Limper had 130 left so thats what I bet.

Limper shows QJ, Hero is ticked off and dumps remaining 1600 in chips 5 hands later.

I dont want anyone thinking this is a bad beat post by the way. I am curious if this was a good play from the begining or should I have just let this go when the K hit the flop and turn? Thanks for any feedback in advance.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: A9o in the SB. Whats your play?

If you put him on Q-high, it's great. How you make these super reads, I dunno.

And uh, on the turn just bet him all in.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 AM

I like the preflop bet - I think I might consider pushing the guy all in here post flop.

since I have 2nd best pair, and since you have established you're willing to put all his chips in to the river, why not put him to the test and make him draw to the gutshot at a loss.

If he's got a K, you die - but again, as we established, you were already willing to put him all in over the course of 3 streets - if you think you have the best hand post flop to bet 2/3rd's, you should be able to push here.

I'm sorta realizing that post flop play in Micro's is tougher then in the big tourneys just because of the possibilities of hand selection.

ACTUALLY, given the way you describe this I'd probably make a larger bet preflop - maybe even a push - try to get it HU with the BB and get that other guy outta there. But I've been a lot more aggressive with my all-in's lately. I have found I do better picking up 9 or 10 small pots then those one or two big ones cause usually there's one or two big losses as well that balances it out cause someone limped in and caught....

One of the downsides of so many bad beats is you start playing in such a way as to punish those who attempt it - but in micros this tends to be +EV.

RB
Old 12-03-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have A9o and have been playing tight and this is my table image as well, so i think. One limper, table folds to me and I raise the BB all-in. BB Folds limper calls

[/ QUOTE ]
why not push the flop? here is why i ask:

its costing 1100 an orbit, your M=7 and you have 1 limper in MP (which doesn't scare me) and JUST the BB left to act.

ok, now you raise enough to JUST put the BB in which was 1400, this puts you in the red zone if you were to just for some reason give the hand up post flop. nobody has shown a lot of strength here so i would just try to collect the pot right here or get this hand heads up with the BB with A9. if you push you are pushing against a stack (the limper) of relative size to yours which is what you want, those kind of stacks or more inclined to fold unless he is trapping which is less likely from MP.

if the limper had limped from UTG or UTG+1 it may be a little different especially if you had seen him trap from there before but i just don't see his limp has setting off any alarm bells.

i push and either see everyone fold or get it heads up with the BB.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:36 AM

I started leaning the other way in my reply, and then came around to the same thinking you did and corrected myself before hitting post...

esp. given the way postflop play has gotten so screwy lately (impossible to put someone on a hand) - if I'm short stacked I want that mo-fo GONE - not trying to catch a river - even with AA I'm pretty paranoid and this guy is a prime example why...

it's easy for a donk to make several bad calls one after another if they're small - but it's harder for them to make one big bad call - so that's why I'm more fond of that all-in lately

RB
Old 12-03-2005, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

it's easy for a donk to make several bad calls one after another if they're small - but it's harder for them to make one big bad call - so that's why I'm more fond of that all-in lately

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so, too, in this scenario. In others, they might call all-in on the flop and pray, but call a smaller bet, miss the turn, and release.

I think you have to push the flop, but if you don't, you have to push the turn. Esp. if you somehow put your opponent on QJ and no brakes.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:04 AM

Read dependent, but if he has limped alot and not shown strenght and every raise has been real-I push this PF.
Second I push this postflopp. The K is scary if he holds some undepair, and if he has limped speculatively it is not likely a holding of his-push. It is all opponent dependent, but if your gut tells you this(Q high) I reckon he has limped alot of speculative hands and easy push. I would be less inclined to do so pf against a better player, but he would probably fold Pf to your raise as it is typical of an A holding or a PP. A better player would also probably bring it in for a raise.

For what it is worth Stokken