Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 AM

Default Preflop play like a master!

Hmm the title sucks [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A big concern for me lately have bin my preflop play. I’m now over 80k hand and I’m playing my preflop play on the 2/4 levels “exactly” as explained in SSH. I now feel that I should take it a step further.
After reviving some of the “best” TAGs in my PT base I see they are all on the 17+% VPIP and 8-10%PFR.
After looking more carefully on the stats I find that the steal att. is much higher than mine, but still after I have pushed my steal up to 23% not that much happened whit my VPIP and PFR that I would expect.
Then I looked at the blind defenses and find a BIG difference. I fold way more in the blinds than the average TAG.

So my question and the purpose of this thread is were can I get more VPIP and PFR and what is proper blind defense strategy at 2/4 and how to play the SB when it’s folded around.

My stats are now
13,67% VPIP
Vol put in from SB 25.67%
Folded SB 95.59%
Folded BB 83.87%
Att to steal Blinds 23.13%
PFR 7.94%

Best regards Fredrik
Old 05-23-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Preflop play like a master!

Work on the title.

Start here on the stat questions.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:54 AM

That is what I have based my assumptions about my preflop play on.
The question is how to raise the stats and I’m guessing that it is my blind defense that is lacking the last 5%.

Best regards Fredrik
Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 PM

Some more action on this thred
Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

you just bumped your own thread, you ARE that guy. the big money is made postflop anyway.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:37 PM

I'm surprised at your stats. I play quite a bit tighter than SSHE recommends and my VPIP is around 18. Are you sure you're loosening up enough on multiway pots and in late position?

And, yes, you need to defend your blinds a little more, but that's not going to make a big change to your VPIP.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:39 PM

Yee sure if you are planing to stay on the smallstakes for the rest of youre life you can ignore PF play
Old 05-23-2005, 02:42 PM

Strange. You play the Tight pages right?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange. You play the Tight pages right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I play tighter than SSHE recommends on the appropriate tables. I'm sure I play looser than the tight pages on loose tables.

Mostly I play Party 15-30 and the tables are generally tight and I'm just under 18% VPIP on my last 30K hands. I recently cleared some bonuses and qualified for some freerolls on some other sites and played about a thousand hands of 2/4 and 3/6. The tables were generally loose and my VPIP was almost 23%.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Your preflop numbers seem WAY too low for a 2/4 table.

If you use the "Loose Games" chart from SSHE page 82 exactly, with no raises your early-position and middle-position VPIP would be about 16.41%, and your late-position VPIP would be about 24.85%, and from the small blind, your VPIP would be about 35.65%. Raises will only alter these numbers if they happen before you act; in my database, the average player raises preflop less than 6% of the time, and when raised SSHE's suggestions will reduce your VPIP about 1/3. I did the math, and it looks like following SSHE perfectly and never trying a blind steal you'd get a VPIP of 16%.

Are you playing at particularly aggressive tables? If your tables have more preflop raises than normal, this could reduce the number of hands you'd pay to see.

If this really bothers you, look over your history by position. When you have a hand that SSHE says you should play, do you actually play it?

As to boosting your VPIP, I suggest more steal attempts (this won't make a huge difference, but bumping up from 23% to 30% would be profitable for you), more isolation raises against loose preflop raisers, and more blind defense. If your average opponent's PFR is higher than 6%, I also suggest finding more passive tables.