Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 06:02 AM

Default The new brown: Huge overbets

I guess this post is low content.

Early in an MTT and everyone at the table still have about their starting stack, $1000 or so. One caller in EP, two folds, I raise 4xbb with AJs, everyone folds, limper calls.

Flop comes J-high rainbow with no obvious straight draws. Limper makes a tiny bet, I make a raise of about 75% of the pot. Limper re-raises with 3/4 of his stack (which is a strange bet - why not go all in while you're at it?).

Anyway, I usually fold this because TPTK does not feel that
great anymore. However, I've noticed that villain's move is very common, which led me to belive that this bet does not mean a flopped set or some other strong hand. Is this some kind of default action for aggro players that missed the flop (with an already weak hand): Got nothing? Make a weird overbet or go all-in.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, what do you do with TPTK when facing a huge overbet from an unknown?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: The new brown: Huge overbets

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this post is low content.

Early in an MTT and everyone at the table still have about their starting stack, $1000 or so. One caller in EP, two folds, I raise 4xbb with AJs, everyone folds, limper calls.

Flop comes J-high rainbow with no obvious straight draws. Limper makes a tiny bet, I make a raise of about 75% of the pot. Limper re-raises with 3/4 of his stack (which is a strange bet - why not go all in while you're at it?).

Anyway, I usually fold this because TPTK does not feel that
great anymore. However, I've noticed that villain's move is very common, which led me to belive that this bet does not mean a flopped set or some other strong hand. Is this some kind of default action for aggro players that missed the flop (with an already weak hand): Got nothing? Make a weird overbet or go all-in.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, what do you do with TPTK when facing a huge overbet from an unknown?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been finding the min-bets into the raiser on the flop, followed by overbet reraises of my obvious raise in that spot, are almost always a big hand. Usually it's something like a set testing you to see if you like your hand enough to double them up. That's been my experience, anyway.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Lately I've seen quite a few people limping with big pairs and playing them like this.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:33 AM

Yeh, 90% of the time when someone min bets and then reraises, whether the reraise is large or small, they have a big hand. I don't know whether this tactic works, but it is popular.

Min betting either means a big hand or it means I want to see another card cheap.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 AM

I'd say it depends a lot on the buy-in. Early in a low buy-in, I think you have to call here. The chances are just too great that you're up against some donk with KJ, TT, 99, or a million other hands you beat. From time to time you'll get shown AA, but that's poker.

I'd also think twice before building a big pot with AJ. Early in the tournament against the low buy-in crowd, you simply won't chase the limpers often enough to make it a +EV play, and then you're stuck playing AJ four-handed. I'd limp here, and see what happens.

If this is the $700k guaranteed, never mind.

Sam
Old 10-10-2005, 10:11 AM

I'll just hijack this thread to ask a question. This is the situation:

SB raises my BB with 3x. I fold. He decides to show me he had J4s.

Why does he do this? Is it his way of saying "haha, I just stole your BB with trash"? Or is it "See here, I didn't steal with trash, they are sooooted"?

Or is he just trying to get me to reraise and trap me next time he raises with a real hand. Or was it just a random act. Have seen it a couple of times lately.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Well, in the $10-$30 buy-ins I play, I see these moves at least once every orbit, usually more often, at the initial levels. So based on merely the frequency of occurance (how many monsters can be flopped per orbit?), I suspect that these huge overbets is some sort of donkplay with weak hands/pure bluff. But I'm not sure, hence me starting this thread.

And yes, I'll give limping AJs some consideration. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 10:23 AM

Make a new thread rather than hijacking. This is a reasonable topic, but completely irrelevant to this thread.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does he do this? Is it his way of saying "haha, I just stole your BB with trash"? Or is it "See here, I didn't steal with trash, they are sooooted"?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't answer your question, but I think the quote above is pretty funny.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:30 PM

I had this recently. L1 109MTT. 3 limpers to the pot, I'm in the BB with J9, flop comes 9 6 3, no flush draw. I make 2/3 pot sized bet, EP calls, LP goes all in. I fold, EP calls. LP had 64s & EP 22. I have no idea what either of them was thinking.