Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 08:00 PM

Default My Worst Play Ever- You have to read it to believe it

OK so it was 3am and I was dead tired. I was on a $200 no-limit at the Bike (my usual game, either that or the Commerce game where there is better action, but poorer service), and I was up about $600.

This was last Friday and was the worst play of my life.

I limp in on the button with pocket 2's, there was no pre-flop raise. The flop comes:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Mistake #1. I slow play my set. SB bets $30, two callers, and then I call.

Turn is a J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets out $40 again, early position player folds, LP raises to $100. LP is a loose player, but I don't doubt the flush, but something in me still decides to call. We can call this Mistake #2. SB folds. Now it is heads up.

Turn is a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now I have a full house. But do I see it? No! LP bets $150 on what is clearly a flush. I am convinced he has the flush and also convinced that all I have is a set of 2's! I fold. He shows the flush and I nod thinking I made a good laydown.

10 seconds later, I hang my head, realize that I got the boat on the river (although let's be honest, should have I called the turn? Raise perhaps, Fold OK, but Call????) and I completely misread my hand. At that point I got up and left, in shame.

Anyone have any worse to make me feel better??
Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 PM

Default Re: My Worst Play Ever- You have to read it to believe it

[ QUOTE ]
10 seconds later, I hang my head, realize that I got the boat on the river (although let's be honest, should have I called the turn? Raise perhaps, Fold OK, but Call????) and I completely misread my hand. At that point I got up and left, in shame.

Anyone have any worse to make me feel better??

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any stories to make you feel better, but at least your turn play wasn't horrible. Do you really want to raise a flush and have him go all-in?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:48 PM

I once mucked a hand at showdown that would've been a split pot - The pot was about $1200. Only takes 1 time to learn lessons like these - You'll be OK.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(although let's be honest, should have I called the turn? Raise perhaps, Fold OK, but Call????)

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is the best option here if you put him on the flush. You have ten outs to the full house, so you have to play it like a drawing hand.

Justin A
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM

calling the turn here is good. raising here is v. bad.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:36 PM

The sad part here is, that the only reason to call on the turn is to hope the board pairs on the river for the full house. When it did pair on the river, I fold to the moderate bet....Like I said, my worse play ever. Almost a week ago and I am still stunned I did it.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:05 PM

Okay here is one, and I suppose that a few percent of this could have been the dealer's fault.

15-30 live game at the Bellagio. I am doing well.

Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the cutoff. Five limpers to me and I call as well.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Its capped by the time it gets to me, obviously I call.

Turn is the K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], board is now A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Early position woman who has just hit her flush guaranteed for sure, bets out. Middle position player folds. Next guy doesnt do anything, just kind of sits there, I don't think that he has any cards in front of him and so I call, big pot, one more bet to get a full house or not.

Dealer deals the river, 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], not filling me up. As soon as he puts the card down several people at the table yell and say that the guy in front of me did not call the turn bet yet. The dealer then picks up the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and puts it face down on the felt right in front of him. Not in the muck, just by itself in front of him. He gives me my $30 turn bet back and asks the other guy if he wants to call the flush-woman's bet, he calls. Now its my turn. I ask the dealer:

"What is going to happen to that three?", because it obvioulsy doesn't help me

"Its coming back." the dealer replies impatiently.

"What does that mean?" I ask.

He repeats himself louder and more annoyedly "The three is coming back!!"

Feeling dumb already at this point, I fold my two pair because as far as I can tell, the three is coming back. However, as we all SHOULD know, the three goes back in to the deck and out comes the river ace of course, making what would have been my boat. The river sets off a flurry of betting and raising between the two remaining players, both of whom have flushes.

Horray for learning your lesson the hard way.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:20 PM

Ouch and thank you!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 PM

best BM story ever
Old 12-22-2004, 11:16 PM

Here's mine, and it easily tops both of these, IMO.

Live 10/20 at the Borgata, really good game, I'm killing it, but have been awake for like 23 hours.

I'm dealt 99

3 limpers to me, I limp, limpfest to the bb who checks.

Flop: Q97

Checked to me, I bet, like 5 callers.

Turn: 10

Guy who plays not too bad bets into me immediately, I decide that he does have KJ so I call. One other caller.

River: Q

Final Board Q97TQ.

I notice that the guy UTG liked this card and almost bet it, but checked, the dude in front of me bet into me. I just called and went for the overcall. UTG checkraised. Dude in front of me looked at me and called. I decided that I was indeed ahead and 3-bet. UTG called. Dude in front of me now caps it. I don't even hesitate for some reason before throwing my cards away. As soon as I do, I realize what a donkey I am and ask him to see his hand, as the checkraiser didn't call the cap either.

He flashed a KJ, I said nice hand, racked up and drove back to Pittsburgh.

Muck a full house for $20 in a 300 dollar pot. Nice play. I rule.

When my friends asked why I was so tilted, I was embarrassed to tell the story.

This is by far my worst play ever.

It doesn't top my buddy's who mucked aces full of jacks when shown aces full of kings.

He later found out that was a jackpot hand good for a total of 26k in a 1/2 nl game.