Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Live no limit tournaments with fast blinds

I play live tournaments that have fast blinds raising every 15-20 mins.

2000-3000 chip start, 25-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200-400, 300-600, 500-1000, 1000-2000....... blinds increase.

Most players are bad and aggressive going all in every time with any pair or AK. Most raises cost 3/4 of your chips late in the tournament because of the blind structure.

I have found playing tight waiting for the good hands drops my chip count down so fast I find myself all in hopeing to get like on a 50/50 headsup. Late in the tournament where I raise, with lets say (TT or AK), to steal the blinds I have a player going all in you a pair or AK. Its always a coin flip. Which eventually I lose.

I am now trying a different strategy by limping in early in the tournament in position with decent hands hoping to hit a flop and trap someone with a set, 2 pair, a str8, or flush. Bluffing is difficult because most players are calling stations. I feel like I have to get lucky to even have a chance in the live tournaments.

In the multitables online playing tight gets me far usually but never in the top money. I am a good limit player but not that good NL player I feel.

I have read TJs books on NL and Sklankies tournament book.

Suggestions on the live tournaments?

Suggesitons for more books? How about Harringtons?