Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: How good is an underboat in this game?

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think OP's initial check on the river is the right play? Given that there is just one player left to act behind, I'd definitely bet out if I were hero. If I get raised by the button, probably have to call... But if it checks through and hero misses picking up a bet or two from the 9-K str's, that's worse

[/ QUOTE ]

Fat Ballz - Good point.

Gee. I don't know. Against this collection of buffoons, it's hard to say.

Here are some reasons not to be overly rambunctious with the sixth nut high hand in a more typical game:
• There is a distinct danger of being up against a better full house or quads. When the first two players check, maybe the one yet to act is the one who has it.
• A savvy player in early position might check expecting to get in a check-raise. Hero thwarts this plan by check/calling.
• A savvy player in early position might check the fourth nut full house, half expecting a better full house behind him, and half expecting to simply pick off a bet by an aggressive late position opponent with a worse hand. Hero avoids getting picked off by this player with a non-nut, but better hand than Hero's.

Hero does not necessarily miss a bet by checking. Indeed, Hero may gain a bet by checking. (Against a better, but very aggressive MP3, Hero probably does better by letting MP3 bet the hand for him).

Check/call on the river is a safer way to play Hero's hand than betting it, probably winning about as much while risking less.

Just my opinion.

Buzz