Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Ann Coulter is a Stupid Bitch

[ QUOTE ]
I didnt say as extreme. I asked if it was "extreme enough for you...." What I left off was "...for you to condemn."

[/ QUOTE ]Oh, so we have to read your invisible pixels now?[ QUOTE ]
So, is it ok that Franken called Horowitz, a man who is clearly not, a racist? The comparison is not ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know. Maybe it is maybe it isn't. I don't know the man and I haven't heard Franken's comments about him.

But the comparison is ridiculous. Franken doesn't demonize half of the country. Franken doesn't preach violence against groups of people with a smirk, and then let his followers pass it off as "just kidding! weeee! lol you stupidheads are so easy to tease."[ QUOTE ]
Coulter and Franken are non value added talking heads who exist to pander to their respective audiences, sling mud, and make money.

[/ QUOTE ]No, Coulter is of a different breed. She isn't a talking head- she's a hatred spewer. She doesn't sling mud- she preaches fascism. That's entirely different.

She is also much more loosly tied to the truth. I wont' defend Franken; I can't stand to listen to him for more than five minutes either, but he's more of an alarmist than a flat out liar.[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, I dont know much about the radio leadup to Rwanda. Ill do some reading on it. But your comparison is pretty extreme, perhaps I should get disgusted with your methods, no?

[/ QUOTE ]No because the comparison is valid. The Hutus (who are genetically identical to the Tutsis) half-jokingly ranted and raved on the radio about the vermin Tutsis- the filthy Tutsis. Half-jokingly talked about how they should be put in their place. Half-jokingly talked about how they were traitors and spies. Maybe the Hutu listeners said "oh we only listen to it because we think it's funny how you Tutsis react. Obviously they're hitting a nerve. Are you really traitors and spies?"

Then one day it wasn't half-jokingly any more. Machetes were distributed, a signal via the radio was given, and millions of Tutsis were chopped to pieces and left to rot in the streets.

You think it could never happen here? You are absolutely wrong. Many studies have been done on people of all sorts (especially after the Holocaust) and fires like that can be set very easily. 90% of people will do horrible horrible things that they never thought they'd do when prompted in the right way.

I don't know if you ever saw the video, but in the 70's a teacher took one day and had her entire class convinced that the blue-eyed people were inferior. The perception grew and grew until the blue-eyed kids starting doing horribly on tests, starting acting out more in class, brown-eyes ganged up and beat up blue-eyes, blue-eyes became more violent, etc. All by just telling the class that one was superior to the other. I can't remember the name of the study but it's been shown on television a few times.

Then two days later she reversed the assumption to one brown-eyes were inferior, and the trend completely reversed almost instantaneously.

In psychology studies were done after the Holocaust involving random people who were told to give shock treatments to people behind a curtain when they gave wrong answers to questions. Something like 90% continued giving treatments even after the victim (after screaming his lungs out) went silent as if he were dead. No place is immune to such things.

Rwanda is what I'm reminded of every time I see Ann Coulter fidgeting and blustering about how unpatriotic, deceitful, and inferior one group of Americans is.[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that when the social conditions are right, hyperbole of the sort Coulter uses could potentially lead to some sort of acting out of those scenarios she outlines. Those conditions, outside of a few lunatics here and there, dont exist in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]You should get out more. The high school I went to was the KKK capital of Indiana, with an active chapter. Rebel flags galore. We got our first black student ever while I was a Junior and the students made monkey sounds at him in the halls. This is a big country and as things like Katrina and the L.A. riots have shown, we can be reduced to the state of other countries quite easily. Do you think none of those KKK members I went to high school take Ann Coulter's fascist "jokes" seriously?[ QUOTE ]
You misunderstand my point. Its the way you and others let her manipulate you into such a self righteous frenzy. You think she doesnt use those words purposely to generate a response? The worst thing to do with a person like that is to respond in that fashion. This is basic human psychology. I mean I teach my kids that for God's sake, havent you figured it out by now?

[/ QUOTE ]Ah, so when you all Read Coulter's books, or listen to her on the radio, you do it with a Liberal at your side? No, there is much more to the appeal of Coulter than that.

Why are people who get alarmed at fascist comments funny? What the hell is funny about that? We don't live in a magical world safe from the end results of Coulter-like thinking.[ QUOTE ]
An irrelevant aside combined with a neat justification of those that you consider to be the closest equivalent to the Coulter crowd. Im waiting to hear your condemnation of them Grey.

[/ QUOTE ]Condemnation of who? Show me some people on the left who think half of America is a bad disease upon our country.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many Air America listeners do you know?

I know plenty of Ann Coulter, Sean Hannnity, and Rush Limbaugh fans but not a single Air America listener- and most of my friends are college liberals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit: I listen to Air America AND Sean Hannity, both primarily for entertainment value. I gave up on Rush years ago. I've never listened to Coulter, but I would if I knew where she was on the dial - she is indeed fun to despise.

-ptmusic
Old 10-06-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, so we have to read your invisible pixels now?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, thats why I expanded on my statement, since I didnt make it clear.

[ QUOTE ]
No, Coulter is of a different breed. She isn't a talking head- she's a hatred spewer. She doesn't sling mud- she preaches fascism. That's entirely different.

She is also much more loosly tied to the truth. I wont' defend Franken; I can't stand to listen to him for more than five minutes either, but he's more of an alarmist than a flat out liar.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll just have to agree disagree on this. In my mind, they are the same.

[ QUOTE ]
No because the comparison is valid. The Hutus (who are genetically identical to the Tutsis) half-jokingly ranted and raved on the radio about the vermin Tutsis- the filthy Tutsis. Half-jokingly talked about how they should be put in their place. Half-jokingly talked about how they were traitors and spies. Maybe the Hutu listeners said "oh we only listen to it because we think it's funny how you Tutsis react. Obviously they're hitting a nerve. Are you really traitors and spies?"

Then one day it wasn't half-jokingly any more. Machetes were distributed, a signal via the radio was given, and millions of Tutsis were chopped to pieces and left to rot in the streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you just proved me point. The tribal rivalries between the Hutus and the Tutsi's had way more to do with what happened than people on the radio. The conditions already existed for it to happen.

[ QUOTE ]
Rwanda is what I'm reminded of every time I see Ann Coulter fidgeting and blustering about how unpatriotic, deceitful, and inferior one group of Americans is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I never took you to be a member of the hysteria wing of the Democratic party.

[ QUOTE ]
You should get out more. The high school I went to was the KKK capital of Indiana, with an active chapter. Rebel flags galore. We got our first black student ever while I was a Junior and the students made monkey sounds at him in the halls. This is a big country and as things like Katrina and the L.A. riots have shown, we can be reduced to the state of other countries quite easily. Do you think none of those KKK members I went to high school take Ann Coulter's fascist "jokes" seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up in the deep South, and am well acquainted with the general ignorance of some of those in our society. Heck, I once got attacked by a group of good ol' boys for driving my black teammates home from basketball practice. But thanks for the advice to get out more.
Yes, there are ignorant people who take her seriously. But they will never amount to more than a minority of this country, unable to affect any type of true societal upheaval. Get a grip man.

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, so when you all Read Coulter's books, or listen to her on the radio, you do it with a Liberal at your side? No, there is much more to the appeal of Coulter than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, I wasnt aware that I read all Coulter's books or that I listen to her on the radio. Maybe it was one of my multiple personalities that did those things. You want to hear something funny? The only reason I ever picked up a Coulter book was after I saw how irate people got over her. I really didnt know that much about her and didnt care.

[ QUOTE ]
Condemnation of who? Show me some people on the left who think half of America is a bad disease upon our country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the members of the left wing blogsphere who make comments like Bush engineered 9/11 or that all Republicans are racists and Nazis, etc.

Here is someone you can start with.

Why Americans hate Democrats
Old 10-06-2005, 01:53 PM

it's not that she made a mistake, it's that she repeatedly insisted to a CANADIAN journalist that Canada had sent troops to Vietnam, and was saying that Canada had abandoned the US because it didn't send troops to Iraq.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, you just proved me point. The tribal rivalries between the Hutus and the Tutsi's had way more to do with what happened than people on the radio. The conditions already existed for it to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]And the same conditions don't exist (furthered along by people like Coulter) here?

And they weren't "tribes". They were just one group of people split in two by the Belgians and set against each other to assist in conquering and controlling them.[ QUOTE ]
Funny, I never took you to be a member of the hysteria wing of the Democratic party.

[/ QUOTE ]Explain this. There must be something in my post you didn't understand.

As I said before, it's disgust, not fear.[ QUOTE ]
I grew up in the deep South, and am well acquainted with the general ignorance of some of those in our society. Heck, I once got attacked by a group of good ol' boys for driving my black teammates home from basketball practice. But thanks for the advice to get out more.
Yes, there are ignorant people who take her seriously. But they will never amount to more than a minority of this country, unable to affect any type of true societal upheaval. Get a grip man.

[/ QUOTE ]Never say never. The Civil War was only a few generations ago.

Perhaps they won't form into a national movement, but I have a gay friend who had to have reconstructive surgery after being beaten for being gay. That's the culture Ann Coulter promotes. Tell him she and Hannity and Michael Savage are harmless people just having an honest laugh.[ QUOTE ]
Of the members of the left wing blogsphere who make comments like Bush engineered 9/11 or that all Republicans are racists and Nazis, etc.

Here is someone you can start with.

Why Americans hate Democrats

[/ QUOTE ]Now that is something that can be fairly compared with Ann Coulter (although it lacks her bloodthirsty flair)- but Al Franken would never say something like that and is not Coulter's equal.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wait so you're going to rip Al Coulter but cite Al Franklin? This doesn't seem a wee bit hypocritical to you?

[/ QUOTE ]Absolutely not. Just because two people occupy the same positions on different sides does not make them equal.

Ann Coulter is filth; vermin not fit to lick my shoes. She's either totally [censored] bat-[censored] crazy or morally a sick monster. She is the worst person I've ever personally met. The number of people I genuinely hate can be counted on one hand, and she makes the list. Her listeners I can only manage to feel sorry for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be true but she's photogenic, articulate and gets ratings.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:36 PM

I love Ann Coulter. She is incredibly intelligent and very effective at what she does. She very rarely loses an argument, and can often make people act like little children. Case in point- most of the liberals in this thread. Do I agree with anything she writes? Sometimes, but usually not, but she does a good job exposing liberals as idiots.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:23 PM

Wow. First things first. Air America Radio, for the most part, does have a lot of content and humor. Despite what the right is STILL saying, it's growing. I know plenty of people that listen to it here in Chicago. It's grown to 70 markets in a little over a year and a half. It is doing well, and given more time it will continue to do well. As for Franken's radio show. If you haven't actually listened to it please don't say a goddamn word. I know the majority of you haven't listened to it, so don't pass judgement. The show has expert after expert as well as intelligent and hilarious political satire. It even has *gasp* opposing opinions. Multiple times a week he'll have the "resident ditto-head," on(a good friend of his) and debate about Limbaugh. Not only that, the guy debates intelligently, so it's not just Franken crushing him. You can't even begin to compare the content of Franken's show to others on the right, because there's actually 'content' as opposed to blowhard demogogues. If you don't want to actually listen to the show then don't compare it to the conservative radio programs.
Oh yeah, someone here actually called Franken a demogogue. Wtf is that about? Perhaps you're throwing around a word that you don't know the definition of. He's absolutely not a demogogue. He does not play off the fears and prejudices of the people. Not saying no liberals do that, but actually listen to the show and then try to lump him and Limbaugh into the same wastebasket of demogoguery.

So apparently he called someone a racist that wasn't a racist. I'll look into it and chime in, but whenever Franken makes a mistake on the show, he corrects it the very next day, and will give a sincere apology. It's not impossible that the person in question did something racist, as past is not prologue to present when it comes to opinions. Democratic senator Robert Byrd was in the KKK, now he's a non-racist Democratic Senator. If Franken irresponsibly called someone who wasn't a racist a racist, then you win on that point. But I'll need many more examples other than that one for you to compare him to Coulter. Every time she opens her mouth she says something as bad as or worse than "this one person is racist." It's usually something like "50% of the country hates America and loves Islamic terrorists."
The End
Old 10-06-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love Ann Coulter. She is incredibly intelligent and very effective at what she does. She very rarely loses an argument, and can often make people act like little children. Case in point- most of the liberals in this thread. Do I agree with anything she writes? Sometimes, but usually not, but she does a good job exposing liberals as idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement confirms you are an *****. But that is no revelation.

The reason Ann Coulter's hate filled remarks are tolerated as 'entertainment' is that no one thinks they will be acted upon. That doesn't make them any less disgusting or dangerous.

Someone on the radio saying the 'Jews are trying to control the world,' the 'Jews need to be eradicated,' can be considered making 'hyperbole for entertainment purposes,' by the sick minded; but when a Hitler is rising to power, feeding off those sentiments, the danger of that kind of rhetoric is much clearer.

Coulter is on record making statements supporting genocide; that is about as funny as a knife in the eye.

Frank
Old 10-06-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eriously, methods aside, Ann Coulter and Al Franken are two sides of the side coin, demagogues who exist for the sole purpose of slinging mud at the other side and to make money doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Grey here. Coulter's statements, even if you aren't supposed tot ake them seriouly (I don;t know whether or not that is the case) go WAY beyound "mud-slinging" at the other side. The fact that you had to pick a random blog to find a liberal equivalent of Coulter's comments rather than quote something Franken said shows that.