Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: RACE CARD!!!! (puking)

[ QUOTE ]
I see lots of these 'poor' people who are morbidly obese. If this is America's 'poor', we pwn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... and if you didn't have a car... or toll money to buy your way out of the city... how are you providing for your five kids you are now trying to push out in a shopping cart.

I would wager that more people staying in the LA area was out of choice... not as victims of penniless poverty.

And I'm sad to say I believe a lot of them are now hanging around solely because they know hand-out are on their way.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:55 PM

I'm sure a portion of the people who got trapped "could've" gotten out if they really wanted to. But I also have a little empathy for them.

How many previous times have they been told to evacuate because the "big one" is on it's way, only to have it fail to materialize or be catastrophic? It must be one big pain in the ass (not to mention costly), to pick up and evacuate leaving everything behind. I know I certainly wouldn't want to do it unless I was close to 100% sure I had to, and I can well afford the travel and lodging expenses for my family.

So you have a point and I understand it. But I also think you're having some difficulty putting yourself in other people's situation. You're arm-chair quarterbacking, which is always easier than the real life thing. Especially after the score is in.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:11 PM

This is a very good post.

This is also why the FEDERAL government should get a little slack in this situation. There is no way that the feds could "win" in this situation.

One of the unanswered questions that I have: Why didn't the STATE or LOCAL government use these before the storm?

For the very reason that Lestat mentioned,"We've been able to ride it out before"

Don't get dragged down in this racism crap. The situation could have absolutely been handled better, both before and after the storm.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Do you think things would have been handled better if the people stranded were blondes with nice tits?
Old 09-03-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think things would have been handled better if the people stranded were blondes with nice tits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Worse. Once the first few men got there, no one would have called for back up.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I'm sad to say I believe a lot of them are now hanging around solely because they know hand-out are on their way

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that or because FEMA ordered the National Guard to shoot them if they tried to leave.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many previous times have they been told to evacuate because the "big one" is on it's way, only to have it fail to materialize or be catastrophic?

It must be one big pain in the ass (not to mention costly), to pick up and evacuate leaving everything behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was labeled category 5, the highest they go. Only a moron would think it's a false alarm. They had a few days to evacuate sick and crippled people with all the buses that are sitting in a flooded parking lot plus the regular city transit buses.

Healthy single poor people in N.O. should have been long gone. I'm 45 and can still run a ten minute mile and with a few days head start I'd have found dry land before the storm hit...

The city is at the 40% poverty level from reports I've read. What exactly were they going to leave behind?

Old 09-04-2005, 06:11 PM

Wow, you really are something.

Where are healthy, single poor people going to go? They're going to flee New Orleans by running? What are they, Forrest Gump?

I know this board is filled with people who have simple-minded solutions for everything, but this one's really the best I've seen so far.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:25 PM

How about anywhere?

Even Forrest Gump would have left and he had a lower I than most New Orleans poverty residents.

The point is, able bodied people who stayed behind created their own problem, as well as problems for others by adding to the number of people who now need help.

The people living BELOW sea level should not have stayed there. How difficult is that concept to comprehend [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2005, 06:32 PM

Because it's overly simplistic and misses the point. You really expect able bodied people to leave all their possessions and simply run away from New Orleans?

Should the mayor have ordered that? "Everyone who can, run. You'll be safer that way."

It's not even something I can argue against, it's so preposterous. Should people have gotten out? Sure, but they are not going to run away to do it, especially when they have no money and nowhere to go. That actually sounds like the most irrational thing to do.