Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 06:48 AM

Default Game Selection

This is my first post here, but i have lurked around and read quite a bit. (Same Gigabet that plays on pp)

The post is directed towards other winning 215 S&G players who post here, but any opinions or ideas are welcome.

Because I play such long hours, I am wondering if game selection would improve my ROI in the middle of the night.

The problem is, I am always playing between four and 8 tables, for a period of 12 to 18 hours at times. There becomes a point where monitoring my play for variance becomes especially draining after a time, IE...mixing up my play when the same people are playing the shift. So there eventually comes a point where I just stop mixing, turn on autopilot, so to speak, just so that I can maintain the session without making fatal errors due to fatigue.

Anyway, the question is, do you think, or have you ever switched to different levels in the middle of a session in which all of the same players are on every table for a period of 2 or 3 hours. I am talking about between the hours of say 4am to around 8am when every tourney will have 8 of the same players. I am thinking that if for one series of say 5 or 6 games play 109s, and then switch to 215s, and back and forth and so on., it may improve my overall winrate.

I haven't tried it yet, because I still have a decent roi at night, but can't help but wonder if my hourly wage would improve if I switched levels every hour or so during the dead times.

It is probably a non issue for most, since they don't play such long sessions, but believe me, it becomes very taxing to keep tabs on everything, and make the right decisions over a long period of time. Changing my play when I am tired causes me to lose my stack easily and often.

Thanks for any responses and I am sure I will post more, so if you have any other questions I will be around to respond.

Gigabet
Old 10-03-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Game Selection

While this doesn't exactly answer your question ... when you get into situations where you are often playing the exact same group of people, I do think it is worthwhile to occassionally skip some games or switch levels IF AND ONLY IF it's a very strong bunch.

I often bypass $100 games at Stars because I see several guys that are winning players. Often, by just waiting for next game to start I get a much easier table.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:39 AM

i definately try and add variety if gigabet is in the hand but there arent many decent players about so its not too hard to multi table on auto pilot

i havent played in this game long but i did play a heap of these games last month and so far my game selection method is to scroll a bit frantically for the next one to start

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-03-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I often bypass $100 games at Stars because I see several guys that are winning players. Often, by just waiting for next game to start I get a much easier table

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too. Just wait, a softer line up will be along in a couple of minutes.