Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Bubble play w/ 7 players left?

How do you all deal with the particularly tight tables that end up w/ blinds of 50/100 w/ 6 players w/ 7 blinds each and one big stack who played like an idiot sitting on 4 stacks? It feels like bubble play but I am still so far away from the money it seems like there are so many more coinflips and narrow edges that must be pushed.

I play on Party and their structure is not....well.... the best I would say so I figure the short starting stacks and high level increases contribure to all this. I know this is a rather broad question, which would require more than just a reply to answer, but if you know of a source online that goes into this, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Bubble play w/ 7 players left?

Anticipate the situation occuring and try to be the idiot with a big stack when you get there.

Lori
Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 AM

It#s more a psycholgical problem, I think.

You are used to other conditions. The usual mix of super tighties and donks. You concentrate on the donks to get them in a big pot when you have a hand and you concentrate on the tighties to steal their blinds.

If every table was like that you would win money easily. Well, it isn't. Sometimes you end up at a table with 7,8 players left and all seem as competent as you are. Probably, they are. Now, you can no longer count on finishing ITM as you are used to. This makes you feel out of place and uncomfortable. You just have to accept these conditions and you have to accept that you are as likely to finish 1st as anybody else and that it will mainly depend on your cards. I bet the others feel as uncomfortable as you. Accepting this gives you at least a psycholgical edge.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 AM

Was I at that table? If not, I was at a few last night just like it.

Bad situation and very hard to play. I normally go into pushbot bubble play mode. If I can get a break and double up, then I can settle down and play for a while.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:50 PM

It was last night at the 11 Party games. It seemed like most of the games I played last night went just like this. I didnt know if this is normal or not, but it was very frustrating to play.