Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Questionable Laydown - My First! (200 PLO8b)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
KK23 is a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with the hand is that with the 23 you need an ace to flop, but then that makes KK no good for the high. So you really are looking for AKx to flop. Good luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you dont need A/K to come on the flop. Any flop with a King is a monster flop for you. If the flop comes K/10/8, the 2/3 will come into play on any favorable turn for you. If a J, Q, or A, or 9 comes you are probably dead to anyone that called your flop bet. So you need a low card on the turn. Thats where 2/3 comes into play. If a low comes on the river you will not just get the high, you will scoop a big percentage of the time. Thats why its a solid hand.

Also if the flop comes A/7/8 and you bet and a guy just calls. You are usually way ahead and will quarter him a big percentage of the time.

You dont need a monster both ways to continue in a hand.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any flop with a King is a monster flop for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You are funny to me.

[ QUOTE ]
If the flop comes K/10/8, the 2/3 will come into play on any favorable turn for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also if the flop comes A/7/8 and you bet and a guy just calls. You are usually way ahead and will quarter him a big percentage of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:40 PM

Yikes. I don't see the value in playing KK23 anywhere but shorthanded and/or heads-up.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes. I don't see the value in playing KK23 anywhere but shorthanded and/or heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm. I'd prefer playing it in a full ring game; playing overpairs for value (required in SH) is much tougher than playing sets for value (what you would be doing in full ring). Same goes for a 23 low; SH you might be playing a 3rd nut low with some strength, full ring it's very black & white, you fold w/out an A on the board.

Obviously KK23 has great value in a SH/HU game, but I think it's equally if not more valuable in a full ring.