Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Folding KK to LP

I'm quite new at the table.
I once saw this player limping TT UTG, and just check-calling down on a 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] flop.
Do you think this information is enough and can justify a fold flop? When I folded I insantly felt bad about that and thought that the fact that he doesn't defend made hands, doesn't mean he won't bluff with draws.

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.50 BB.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Folding KK to LP

Standard. Usually players that don't raise an overpair, are the same players that don't bluff draws.

Adjust your read in the future if you see him doing something not conforming to your passive read, but I'd trust it here, you're not giving up a huge pot or anything.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM

I think you need to call and donk the turn, but i'm not sure about the river. If you had more hands on this guy you could fold the flop but you need to get this to showdown. Obviously if he raises you on the turn you fold. I'm not sure whether to call a bet on the river or bet or fold. What's his aggression?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:10 PM

I fold here too. If he didnt bet the previous example what in the world would he be raising with here? It is also very unlikely he is attempting to get a free card by the example.
2.5BB to showdown in a small pot... Fold
Old 12-06-2005, 03:11 PM

If he wont raise an overpair I doubt he's going to raise a pair of aces on the flop vs. a preflop raiser. He'd probably call down with A9 here. That's why this raise confuses me. He could certainly have 2 pair, or maybe he raises a draw? Whatever, small pot, an overcard to your pair, facing aggresion, no shame in folding.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:14 PM

This looks fine.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Maybe he is a donky who bets with nothing and calls with everything? I would probably call this down to confirm the read,ie that he plays ultra straight forward and only raises 2pair or better.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he is a donky who bets with nothing and calls with everything? I would probably call this down to confirm the read,ie that he plays ultra straight forward and only raises 2pair or better.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I read these responses the less I like my line of donking the turn. But your advice, sir, seems even more questionable. Putting money in the pot simply for information is a horrible idea. Our position sucks, our hand is marginal. If we're calling down it's because we're unsure whether we're beaten, not because we're curious whether he has an ace or two pair here.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 PM

a pair of aces is less of a hand than the TT. Therefor if he raises here he doesnt have the ace. He has a set, twopair or air.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:51 PM

Even though the pot is small, I don't like to fold the flop on a raise to my bet. I don't want to encourage this. And some might say at this level, not many notice. But the people paying attention do, and you might have one. So I call, then fold the turn. I don't see him checkraising a draw here.