Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Passive set of jacks $5+.5

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP1 (t2935)
MP2 (t2360)
CO (t525)
Button (t375)
Hero (t4570)
BB (t1275)
UTG (t1460)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t105, BB calls t90, UTG calls t90.

Flop: (t480) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t240</font>, Hero calls t240, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (t960) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t510</font>, Hero calls t510.

River: (t1980) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)
Hero checks...</font>

This guy doubled up second hand when he flopped a boat w/ JJ and busted a flush. That has been the only hand he's played.

Preflop I figure him basically for AQ+ TT+. TT and AQ seem most unlikely of the bunch.

I checked the flop because every hand I put villain on hit the flop in some way and he certainly was going to make some bet. The problem with a lead is that any hand he could have will probably raise this flop so I get no info. I thought it best to c/c and if he checks behind on the turn to get value on the river. However his turn bet looked real strong so I checked river too.

Being 2 of the big stacks at the table I didn't want to tangle without a really big hand. Looking back I should have maybe blocked the river, but the pot was already large so I just checked intending to fold to a push.

Too slow?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Passive set of jacks $5+.5

I'm not a fan of your play myself...

He could have all sorts of things that you would have beat. The only hands that seem likely to me and have you beat are AK and QQ, which are possible, but more times than not I think you're way ahead.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:46 PM

I'm check-raising the flop to 600.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:37 PM

This is a spot were you are either way ahead or way behind. Just calling on the turn keeps the pot as small as possible when you are behind, but now half of your stack is in the middle.

Maybe, pushing the turn and representing the flush here could knock him off an AK if you are behind? If you are ahead of say AQ, TT, you still may be the call.

Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Bet and reraise (check-raising works too) the flop, now. Letting Kings and flush draws stay around for cheap is very, very bad.

Check-calling is very, very bad.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:11 PM

That flop is about as scary and drawheavy as they come. The flat flopcall here is pretty bad at a $5+.5 where people love to chase any gutshot or flushdraw.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:02 AM

"Being 2 of the big stacks at the table I didn't want to tangle without a really big hand."

You had a really big hand. You aren't getting away from it, it's 7 handed, you want to stack the villian here. And you're giving MP1 far too much credit with that range(and do you really want to give KK, AA, and AQ free cards?).
Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a spot were you are either way ahead or way behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude this is not a wa/wb situation at all, not with 3-straight/3-flush on board

the only thing he's way ahead of is pair w/no club/no straight draw, or maybe 2-pair

the only thing he's way behind of his a higher set