Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Med PP to a turn overcard

I'm still gettin the 6-max feel down. No real reads except everyone has a 40+vpip.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero ???

Ok I called the flop donk-bet - I figure villian could have a flush draw, wacky str8 draw or maybe the flop barely grazed him (pair of 6s). In retrospect I think this might be worth a raise? If I am re-raised I can call &amp; fold to a turn bet UI (don't pick up a flush draw). My rational for the call is that if he's betting with a 6, 77, 88, 99 I want him to keep on bettin and a raise would have slow him down.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Oye, another overcard. I called hoping for another heart on the turn.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ??

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Am I right enough to make this call profitable? I saw too many ways to be behind in this hand to make this showdown profitable. What should be my line throughout the entire hand? For some reason call call fold just seems wrong.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Med PP to a turn overcard

I'd raise that flop. Someone with a J will often be check-raising -- I find that donkbetters are more often on draws than made hands.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:05 PM

Call, call, fold is very wrong, as you said. You have to raise this flop, not only because you probably have the best hand, but so you avoid tricky decisions such as the one you face when scary cards hit the board.

Given the size of the pot, you've got to be right at least 13 percent of the time to make calling profitable. Your opponent bet the flop, turn and river, almost certainly with a hand that beats TT. Fold.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM

Gah, ok, thanks ... i knew I should have raised the flop ... for some reason I was stuck in this "if he's betting a worse hand, let him bet it the whole way" mode of thinking, but I think i incorrectly applied in this hand.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gah, ok, thanks ... i knew I should have raised the flop ... for some reason I was stuck in this "if he's betting a worse hand, let him bet it the whole way" mode of thinking, but I think i incorrectly applied in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, that mentality works better if you have a hand he can't draw out on so easily (like AA/KK). Your hand is vulnerable and you'd prefer to end this hand sooner rather than later.