Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 01:08 AM

Default AQo large multiway pot. Getting Donked.

Villian in this hand is unknown. Other opponents are typical 2/4 players. Not LPP not TAGs SL kind of passive folk.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (19.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

Hmmmmmmm
Old 09-14-2005, 02:05 AM

Default Re: AQo large multiway pot. Getting Donked.

I'm not dropping the hand.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 02:36 AM

He probably has 2 pair. Why do you raise the turn? Are you trying to knock out a hand like KJ which would discount your outs to the Q? Or are you trapping the middle players in for more bets in case you win?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 AM

I see myself playing it the exact same way. You can't drop TP/GK in such a large pot at 2/4. With an unknown villan and several others coldcalling, the raise on the turn should be for value but of course the three bet sucks.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:35 AM

villain's 2 pair was played to perfection. with the overlay of UTG and MP2, pot is too big to fold on the turn hoping to hit your 3-outer and then river is too big period.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:44 AM

Does anyone feel that this is a situation where waiting until a safe card hit the turn to reraise would be best. Raising the flop will do nothing to protect your hand and it makes your turn raise less effective.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not dropping the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I'm not raising the turn. This turn bet screams for a raise. When you raise 3 players on the flop he has to figure you for at least an A, yet he's betting.

The bet could come from a hand fearing you raised the flop with a flushdraw, but that's not very likely at all.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone feel that this is a situation where waiting until a safe card hit the turn to reraise would be best. Raising the flop will do nothing to protect your hand and it makes your turn raise less effective.

[/ QUOTE ]
Waiting to the turn won't make your turn raise effective as hand protection. It might be of bigger value, but when UTG bets the flop and get called in 3 spots he'll check several of the hands we beat. I like raising the flop for value instead.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:25 AM

It's easy for me to say this now, since I know SB 3-bet the turn. But, anyway, it's impossible (since you hold the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) for SB to have a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] that picked up a flush draw on the turn to go with top pair, and I think that's something to take into consideration when making your turn decision.

A raise is tempting with two players calling in between that you're probably currently beating. Unfortunately, though, it looks like SB may have been thinking of this too and hoped to bring those players along for as many bets as possible.

A lot of 2/4 players don't pull a stop-n-go for this reason, but it looks like SB did.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 AM

no... this is not an example where waiting for the turn is an option. among other things, one of the primary reasons to wait for the turn is to offer your hand protection you aren't offered on the flop. well, not only is that not the case here, but the flop bet doesn't necessarily, or even likely, mean you're behind here.

the turn donk-bet, however, is kinda scary.