Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Check/Call or Bet/Fold River?

I'm looking for a little help on the way I played this hand specifically the river. I'm pretty sure I have the best hand up to the river but how would everyone play when the river card hits. Any other advice is welcome as well.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (5.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 12-15-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Check/Call or Bet/Fold River?

I fold the preflop. Since you didn't.

I don't see this as a value bet. I can't see a better hand folding and I don't see many worse hands calling. Therefore, I at least check. Now if he bets it gets interesting. Would he really have called with 55 or overs. That is about all you beat at this time. I think that I might even check/fold. Is this weak?
Old 12-15-2005, 03:09 PM

I'd checkraise the flop.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 PM

I don't think you really need to lead the flop. Button is going to auto-bet, isn't he?

On the river, I think the main question is whether you think Button is more likely to bet AQ/KQ or call with it.

Sometimes I bet-fold, and sometimes I check-call. I think usually if you're ahead, Villain will check behind if you check and fold if you bet, though, so most of the time it won't matter what you do.

Betting is the best way to get paid off by pocket 5's or A7o. It does also open you up to a bluff-raise, on this scary board, if the river bluff-raise is in Villain's arsenal.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM

If the button is the kind of player who will raise any 2 here, you have to make it three bets or fold. Calling simply isn't an option.

As for the river, I prefer check/calling, because you might induce a bluff and collect 1BB. You might still be beaten, but you still lose only 1 BB to a bet/fold line. But by check/calling, you get a showdown to boot -- which gives you valuable information as to what he'll raise with here when folded to on the button.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:28 PM

Does anyone's line change knowing this is 6 max and NOT full ring?

I don't play 6 max, so I don't know the answer. I would have considered folding pre-flop...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:44 PM

I would need a pretty solid read that the button's stealing range is in the 40% range to defend here. Besides the obvious factors, you need to consider game structure. First, Party's rake at 3/6 6max is high, and that hurts the profitability of defending. Second, but not as significant, there is less dead money because of the 1-3 blind structure. Together, these factors probably skim .5-.75 SB off your EV, as compared to defending at, say 10/20.

If you consider that this hand is marginally profitable at best, I think it's an easy fold in this game unless the button is a clear LAG.

Scott