Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Advice on AQ

You forgot his backdoor straight opportunties.

All aside, he's getting 19-1 when the action's up to him on the flop. Let's add another .5 outs for the straight possibilities. He's got 5 outs, meaning he's 42/5 or 8.4-1 to improve or pick up a huge draw. You bet he's calling.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:44 PM

edit: bah, I should read all the posts first.

Fwiw, I would call out of curiosity. It doesn't look good, because he must know we're going to bet the river with AK or AQ like a lot.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Not betting this river, as one poster suggested, can only be described as vaginal.

As for what to do next, this is weird. River checkraises are virtually never bluffs. And by virtually never, I mean damn near 0% of the time. I very rarely call river check-raises w/ one pair, even when it's an overpair.

In this case, I would very strongly consider calling, though. If he seemed strange or weird or like he was loosy goosy at all, I'd call. If he seemed solid(ish), I'd be more inclined to fold.

I think I probably would have called, but it would have depended a lot on the vibes I was getting from him. If this hand were online, I'm pretty sure I would have called. However, don't get into the habit of calling river checkraises. When's the last time you check-raised the river and wanted your opponent to fold?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:59 PM

I say, look the guy up. You may call his bet a "value bet" but, realatively speaking, I don't see 1 pair winning many hands in LL Holdem. I agree that 99, TT, QQ, and KK will often call and you'll earn an extra bet. But typically, they won't raise with them. Checking this hand on the river avoids the delima he's faced with now. LL Holdem is about value betting but its also about protecting your stack.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fwiw, I would call out of curiosity.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to restrain myself here and just say "you suck."
Old 11-30-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see 1 pair winning many hands in LL Holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you haven't played enough low limit hold'em.

[ QUOTE ]
Checking this hand on the river avoids the delima he's faced with now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make it right. Such a timid, defeatist attitude is characteristic of losing players.

[ QUOTE ]
LL Holdem is about value betting...

[/ QUOTE ]

...yes...

[ QUOTE ]
...but its also about protecting your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

...no... Where did you get this idea? I hope what you mean to say is "avoiding making -EV bets/call." Thinking in terms of "protecting your stack" or "not putting your money at risk," is, again, a timid and defeatist attitude characteristic of losing players. (This isn't a tournament, after all...)

Welcome to the Forum.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM

your river play: stare at him, talk at him, ask some questions of him & otherwise put him on the spot for a minute or two, then raise or call...
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your river play: stare at him, talk at him, ask some questions of him & otherwise put him on the spot for a minute or two, then raise or call...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good line if you want your opponents to hate you...
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM

With no read on the BB...

His 3-bet preflop is virtually assured of trapping the entire table.
I think you have to keep him on a range wider than what we would consider normal in this spot.

I call, congratulate him and don't show.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:04 PM

Anytime you put your money in the pot, you're putting it at risk. My point, is to put it at risk when you think you're ahead or have the right odds on a draw or semi-bluffing, etc. In the senario originally posted, I don't see how one can believe they're ahead with any confidence.
I see players all the time be over aggressive and over play wrong hands. If they catch a run of cards they're pumped-up but almost always leave cleaned out. Does that remind you of anyone?
By the way, that's the first time I've ever been charaterized as having a timid and defeatist attitude. Were you beat-up as a kid?
Thanks for welcoming me to the form.