Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: The most impressive feat in sports recently?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is even more impressive when you take into consideration that Johnson's 200 record is less than double the 100 record, and by a fair amount at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The feat was remarkable, but this statement isn't why. Of course it's going to be less than double the 100 time because he is at full speed when he starts the second 100 of the race.

[/ QUOTE ]

figure out how many people in the sport of track and field can run a 200 faster than double their 100 time, then get back to me.

edit to add: I'll make this easy on you, only 2 people in history have ever run a 200 in a time faster than double the 100 meter world record at the time. The other guy was the former world record holder and his 200 time was faster than double the 100 meter record at the time he ran it by about a tenth of a second. When Johnson did it his time was faster than double by almost 4 tenths.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You might consider me cynical, but I think 80% of Olympic athletes are roided up. I have a friend who wants to become a professional pole vaulter, and he has told me that unless he takes roids, he can't compete because everyone else is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I competed in college track and field, including with a pole vaulter who went over 18 feet. Your friend is insane, tell him to stop whining because he's not good enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Also don;t forget him losing to Donovan Bailey in the 150m race at Skydome.

[/ QUOTE ]

he pulled his hamstring in this race...i think had he won that that might have been the most impressive sports feat recently.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best in football this year by far was the alabama game (vs Georgia Tech I believe, early this season) where the guy catches the 50+ yd TD pass by catching the ball on the other side of the defender's helmet, where he holds onto the ball and then crashes into the endzone by flipping over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyrone Prothro

He also broke his leg a few games later... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You might consider me cynical, but I think 80% of Olympic athletes are roided up. I have a friend who wants to become a professional pole vaulter, and he has told me that unless he takes roids, he can't compete because everyone else is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I competed in college track and field, including with a pole vaulter who went over 18 feet. Your friend is insane, tell him to stop whining because he's not good enough.

[ QUOTE ]
Also don;t forget him losing to Donovan Bailey in the 150m race at Skydome.

[/ QUOTE ]

he "pulled" his hamstring in this race...i think had he won that that might have been the most impressive sports feat recently.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 11-05-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is even more impressive when you take into consideration that Johnson's 200 record is less than double the 100 record, and by a fair amount at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The feat was remarkable, but this statement isn't why. Of course it's going to be less than double the 100 time because he is at full speed when he starts the second 100 of the race.

[/ QUOTE ]

figure out how many people in the sport of track and field can run a 200 faster than double their 100 time, then get back to me.

edit to add: I'll make this easy on you, only 2 people in history have ever run a 200 in a time faster than double the 100 meter world record at the time. The other guy was the former world record holder and his 200 time was faster than double the 100 meter record at the time he ran it by about a tenth of a second. When Johnson did it his time was faster than double by almost 4 tenths.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know much about track and field so I'll take your word for it. To me, it just seems like that would be the case. In the 100m, you are going from zero to whatever. The first few meters are going to be slower because of this. So by multipling that by two, you include those slower meters twice, whereas in the 200m there is only one start. Anyway, that was my rationale, but I guess it is wrong.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me, it just seems like that would be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were the case, then more than one person in history would've accomplished it.

Part of what you are missing is that the first 100m of the 200m occur on a turn, not a straightaway. Also, the pacing is different. A 100m sprinter simply cannot maintain his 100m speed for another 100m. If they could, they'd simply all just win the 200m also, right?

The incredible thing is that in a sport where records are set and broken in .01 increments, he set a record that no one has come withing .36 of! It may well be the most dominant/amazing/incredible feat in the history of sports.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:01 PM

I'm biased having lived in Eugene and having a thing for the distance guys, but if you're discussing track you have to consider this guy:

He's ran the mile in under 3:50 at least 14 times (including once in the Pre Classic in Eugene, fastest mile ever ran in US)
He broke the mile record by over a second running it at an amazing 3:43.13
He holds the 1500 record at 3:26
He holds the 2000 (ok admittedly an obscure race but still) at 4:44
He won both the 1500 and 5000 in Athens
He also won the 1500 at the world championships in 1997,1999,2001,2003
Old 11-05-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he pulled his hamstring in this race...i think had he won that that might have been the most impressive sports feat recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ johnson during that race. he had to fake an injury because bailey humiliated him. fun race to watch though..it's not my intention to take anything away from johnson, he is/was an incredible athlete, but he had his ass handed to him that race.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:47 PM

Red Sox as a team last year. Never say "i quit."
Old 11-05-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To me, it just seems like that would be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were the case, then more than one person in history would've accomplished it.

Part of what you are missing is that the first 100m of the 200m occur on a turn, not a straightaway. Also, the pacing is different. A 100m sprinter simply cannot maintain his 100m speed for another 100m. If they could, they'd simply all just win the 200m also, right?

The incredible thing is that in a sport where records are set and broken in .01 increments, he set a record that no one has come withing .36 of! It may well be the most dominant/amazing/incredible feat in the history of sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in my first post, I was never doubting its greatness and I admitted I was wrong. Just explaining my rationale.