Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Stillman\'s play on the pocket deuces!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Overplaying small pocket pairs like that is a standard move for small $$ online players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad he didn't catch the duece, but if he did he would have felt like an idiot for acting like a jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing could make him feel like an idiot. ESPN showed 1/10th of his true jerk-offness
Old 11-02-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The play was not as terrible as you guys think. Being that they were getting down to 30 or so he figured A10o guy had to have a premium hand to call his reraise. The guy who called made the worst play by calling. He basically bled off what could have been 25-30% of his stack on a hand that is dominated or way behind by any reraising hand. He got lucky. If I was that big oaf I would have been pissed too that bad play got rewarded. The big oafs mistake was going all in on the flop after the Ace hits. His reraise with 22 is a pretty good chip accumulating play.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO, yah I'm sure this is exactly what the big gorilla was thinking. He prob thought the same thing most donks think "Oooh, a pocket pair, I can't lose with this!".
Old 11-02-2005, 05:02 PM

Kessler was talking on and on about how he's so happy just to be there and how he never thought he'd come this far and have his son see his picture on the WSOP home page (or something like that). I wouldn't think he's a tight player who would lay down something like AT.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:03 PM

Come on, a big unathletic white guy head to toe in throwback NBA gear? That's the pinnacle of cool last time I checked.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:08 PM

While I also believe this guy was an absolute jackazz and wanted to punch him in the face while watching, wasn't this particular play just a basic stop and go? I don't know what the original raise was (probably 60 or 70 K) and he reraises 130 K more out of the bb or sb, leaving about 250 or 280 K behind. When called, there is a 400 K or so in the pot and he probably decided to push any flop in first bet position. While it seems terrible to do this on an A high flop, I have read some of Raymer's posts about the stop and go, and he says that it is very important not to change your mind and to push no matter what flops.

All that being said, the guy was a gorilla douche fuktard and I'm glad he's gone.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:33 PM

I agree, I don't think his play was THAT bad. It was his whining afterwards was what was annoying. I mean, he's going on and on about how horrible he was to have called preflop with ATo. Would it have made him feel better if he turned over AKs or QQ? When you go all-in with 22 on a AQx board after a preflop raise and you expect your opponent to have a hand better than ATo, you're beating exactly nothing. His only real hope was to make a better hand fold. If he wanted to risk his tournament on that bluff, it's a gutsy move, but he shouldn't berate his opponent when it doesn't work. Whether he had ATo or AA is irrelevant at that point.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:34 PM

While I agree the stop 'n go is a great strategic tool, do you really think he was using it? Do you really think when he saw his 22 he

1. Evaluated the action he had seen thus far

2. Realized a stop and go play might be in order

3. Evaluated the pros and cons of the situation

4. Set the plan into motion and began to watch it unfold, verifying that indeed this would be a good play.

5. Executing the play on the flop.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt he went through these Raymer'esc steps.

I think a better guess is

"22? Hey yo a pocket pair man, I'm gonna raise dis thing"

"This dood's a punk, I'll show him, all in"
Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM

stillmans an idiot. i've played with him in nyc and ac.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:44 PM

You are probably correct, sir. That gorilla was probably thinking much more along the lines you mentioned.

I also realized that I don't think this situation meets the stop and go criteria, but just happened to make a similar play possible. For a true stop and go, he would have needed to feel that if he pushed all in pf that he would be called based on pot odds, but he may be able to force a fold by pushing any flop. In this situation, he reraised the other player, not called, so he opened himself up to being rereraised. The only reason this resembled a stop and go type play was that the guy with A10 just called the raise. At that point, he probably was like, "F 'dis dude, I'm goin' all in on 'dat punk," or some other stupid crap. Good riddance to this guy.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:45 PM

Did you actually call that dress he had on "NBA throwback gear"? It came down to his KNEES. I could fit my family in that thing, and its not even close.

Its more reminiscent of that hideous dress the NBA had Mariah Carey (is that who it was? so long ago...) wear to sing the national anthem that one time. Part of me says it was actually the Wizards that did it. Am I wrong? Fitting if it was the Wizard... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Stillman vs Paskin HU, anyone?