Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: What motivates you?

[ QUOTE ]
screw pm, i'm interested too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you're young, buying a house is fairly easy if you pay cash. Legal tender for all debts public and private, yo.

Incidentally, Jay, that's my motivation right now: I'm buying a house with my fiancee, paying for a wedding and honeymoon next year... right now I've got enough for that, but not enough for that AND a 10-20 NL bankroll AND the travel I've become used to lately.

Ideally, I'd like to sock away enough $$ before the poker boom ends to retire. That would be a lot of money, which means a lot more hours and hands than I'm playing now.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 AM

Money. But maybe I'm different because after 3+ years, I'm still not bored of the game.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet everyone who replied would have enough money to live off either from their job or by playing less hours, so why the motivation for extra enough to put more hours in?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cause I'm [censored] greedy! This is one of the few jobs in the world where your product is money, not some gadget that you later sell for money. Seeing the money roll in, particularly after a big positive session, is all the motivation I need to keep on playing.

This is what distinguishes this job from just about any other one. Even in my poker coaching side business -- which is still about poker -- the motivation goes beyond just making more money. It's only in poker itself that the motivation is all about money.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 AM

I like the fact that your renumeration is "honourable" - the better you do your job, the more you get paid. I have spent time at jobs where no matter how much harder or better you did your job over the next guy, you got the same pay.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:22 AM

To answer your question, my brother did not purchase this real estate fully on his own. He has help in co-signing from me and another family member since he is too young to have enough credit and work history.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:46 AM

Extreme boredom. I wake up everyday and don't know what to do, but worse, there's nothing I want to do. Everything is boring. Play poker is easy and the computer is just steps from my bed, and it allows me to exist.

-Michael
Old 09-04-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Extreme boredom. I wake up everyday and don't know what to do, but worse, there's nothing I want to do. Everything is boring. Play poker is easy and the computer is just steps from my bed, and it allows me to exist.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly this is pretty true for me also.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 AM

I love you.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 AM

Absolutely nothing, thats why I haven't been able to play for a long time.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

That hit home tbh. Most of what I do these days is just because I can't be arsed to make much effort to do anything else.