Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Reno - is it worth it?

A buddy of mine is heading down to Reno in late Jan. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth going or not. I can catch a flight for about $130.

My question, for those who have been there, is about the softness of the games. I've read up on the different games spread there, but didn't read much in the recent archives about the quality of something like the 8-16 at the Peppermill or El Dorado, or something like that.

Are the games good enough that it's worth the cost of going down there? I would guess that they're not as soft as Vegas, just due to the lesser number of visitors.

So, for those who may have been there in the past year, were the games pretty soft? Or is it just a bunch of rock garden locals?

The weekend in question is the NFC/AFC championship weekend, FWIW.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Reno - is it worth it?

I just got back from spending a few days in Reno. The games are certainly soft enough to make it worth the while of the average 2+2 player. Focus on the El Dorado and the Hilton. A lot of other rooms spread games, but they are much lower limit. If you want to play NL or above 4-8 those are your best choices.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:45 PM

Good to hear. I'm most interested at taking a shot at 8-16 or something like that if I can find it. But 4-8 would be fine too.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:54 PM

I was in the El Dorado on a Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago. It was a rock garden peppered with the occasional fish. It was also like playing in an old people's home. Tahoe is only a 45 minute drive away - full of tourists because its ski season, and crazy, crazy games.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:42 PM

That's probably the timing issue. Most afternoon games play like that unless you are in Vegas for the SuperBowl or March Madness. I played the 3-6 at ED on Fri night about 8pm. 6-7 to every flop. People calling pre-flop caps with suited K and Q's, any ace, etc. $200 pot dragged with 7-6 offsuit after a pre-flop three-bet, and a flop cap...
Variance is a bitch but otherwise a good game.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:49 PM

Speaking of superbowl. I'm just craving superbowl weekend out here. I get out of work at 11am, and cannot wait to hit up some of these games!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:41 AM

I have only played at the Hilton, Cal-Neva and one other downtown in Reno, and thought that Harvey's in Tahoe was much softer than any of those.