Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Default What do you think?

Tight table, opponent is loose passive - VPIP 30%, PFR 2.5%. Aggression factor on flop is 2, but I only have 118 hands on him. It's probably a standard hand but just want to check, new to NL cash.

Eurobet No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 ($7.65)
CO ($19.85)
Button ($20.95)
Hero ($31.80)
BB ($16.50)
UTG ($6)
UTG+1 ($20.90)
MP1 ($13.90)
MP2 ($32.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $0.65</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($1.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, BB calls $11.75 (All-In), Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($33) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($33) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $33
Old 10-20-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: What do you think?

its a pretty small pot to get all this action going. Be that as it may this is pretty standard forme at party. I dont know too much about the micro eurobet games, but I think your good here a lot more often than not.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 PM

u r putting 160bbs into a pot with TPTK. i have no experience in this game so this could be a good thing, but im not sure that it is. u need to pot this flop and then make your decisions from there as u will have a lot more info.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with A, K. Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
7 folds, Hero (poster) raises to $0.65, BB calls $0.50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make a real raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($1.50) K, 4, 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $0.5, BB raises to $4, Hero raises to $15, BB calls $11.75 (All-In), Hero calls $0.75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make a real bet. Unless you have a read and know this guy will bluff raise a weak looking bet, such a small bet is silly.

Becuase you made such a small raise you not only failed to define your own hand, you have made it difficult to define your opponents hand. For this very reason, the whole hand is going to be difficult to play.

I am not sure about the reraise on the flop. I am uncomfortable putting so many BBs in the pot with out a solid read against someone that is raising the original "aggressor".
Old 10-20-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($1.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, BB calls $11.75 (All-In), Hero calls $0.75.

[/ QUOTE ]

Open for more on the flop. As is, you're giving villain 4:1 odds, so you're not going to chase off any flush draws; all you're doing is building a more attractive pot. At least 2/3 pot is probably "correct", but in these games you often need to bet more to get the correct effect, so a full pot-sized-bet (PSB) or even $2 bet is probably the way to go here.

Villain's raise looks more like an attempt to blow you off the hand than any real holding, especially given that your hand looks like a continuation bet after a missed PF steal attempt.

That said, however, I would probably fold to the raise.

The pot is still fairly small, you're in poor position, and because the betting pattern involved a perceived steal attempt followed by re-steal, its hard to read the action and relate it to probable hand strength.

It seems close, but there are probably better spots to make a stand.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:15 PM

The only reason I made such a small raise on the flop was to get the guy to come over the top on a bluff.

It worked, sort of [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 01:41 PM

Playing it like you did makes nut peddling profitable even at the microlimits.

Limp with any pocket pair, hit a set, go all in for an absurdly large amount, get called by a fool with TPTK or an overpair.

If you have a read to suggest he's completely nuts, fine, call. You're basically never ahead here against a competent player.

Even more hilarious is that your read on the villain is loose passive, yet you decided to try and induce a bluff against him (by betting small in a hand where you're probably ahead, before knowing anything about his hand) - and then called down his MASSIVE overbets of the pot. I dont think it's possible to play it worse than you did. Congratulations.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing it like you did makes nut peddling profitable even at the microlimits.

[/ QUOTE ]

So nut peddling becomes more profitable against better players?
[ QUOTE ]

Limp with any pocket pair, hit a set, go all in for an absurdly large amount, get called by a fool with TPTK or an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that's not what happened, I attempted to induce a bluff and believed I had. I should not have reraised but flat called and let him think I was on a club draw and bet again on a non club flop, or pushed on a club myself, assuming my belief was correct.

[ QUOTE ]

If you have a read to suggest he's completely nuts, fine, call. You're basically never ahead here against a competent player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already told you he wasn't a competent player, he was loose passive and the fact he hadn't bothered to top up from not much more than half the buy-in confirms that. If you're going to see flops with garbage you need to be able to bust your opponent for the most you can when you hit that miracle flop, not take half their stack because you've only got half the buy-in.

[ QUOTE ]

Even more hilarious is that your read on the villain is loose passive, yet you decided to try and induce a bluff against him (by betting small in a hand where you're probably ahead, before knowing anything about his hand) - and then called down his MASSIVE overbets of the pot. I dont think it's possible to play it worse than you did. Congratulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably was a stupid play, if I was happy with the way I played it I wouldn't have posted here. My experience of NL hold'em is largely confined in the past year decent buy-in Party SnGs hence my tiny bet out trying to induce the reraise, which works well in that sort of game, and where (Party dumb structures) TPTK is enough to get all in with. It probably was a mistake given that he WAS loose passive, it's not a read, it's a fact, unless 30% VPIP and 2.5% PFR doesn't qualify. However he did get much more aggressive post flop, as I already said but you apparently ignored.

Further, I did not call down his massive overbets of the pot, I attempted to induce a bluff, believed I had, then set him all in minus 75c. I must admit I did call that final 75c, I'm not sure that quite counts as a massive overbet of the pot on his behalf though.

I had obvious misgivings about the hand as it's the one out of the 500 I've bothered to post since starting no-limit cash in earnest 2 days ago, only previously doing a bit of 6 handed when I had left a bonus which was about to expire and I wanted to clear it quick.

You have offered zero constructive advice and misread the hand in question completely. I have a strong suspicion you're an excellent live player who just can't beat all these loose fish online because they keep calling me down with crap. Congratulations yourself.