Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Is working for the U.S. government out of the question?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the most important post within this thread. If you go to post-secondary school for 6-7 years and settle for $40k, you might want to revisit your opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Private sector requires 2-10 years of relevant work experience (depending on job). It's either this or some crappy internship for the U.N.

[/ QUOTE ]

Government work is +EV. It is because after working for the government you are extremely hireable by any number of private companies. Generally for a much better job than you would get right out of school.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:30 PM

The time value of the money you are giving up now for anticipated higher wages in the future isn't even close. Compound the 10-20% more you get in the private sector across raises over 10 years and you'll see you're way behind.

Of course, I'm not taking into account all the extraneous bribe income those in the public sector take in.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:14 AM

If it helps, I know a Homeland Security Immigration Agent who plays online, and he dosn't seem to have a problem.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:02 AM

I'm sure they won't care.

Almost any reasonable "lifestyle choice" is not going to be a problem for a civilian position unless it's a big secret. They don't want you being blackmailed into compromising security.

The biggest reason decent people are unable to get clearances is foreign connections. Foreigners living in your household, foreign business partners, foreign relatives, foreign lovers, etc. are red flags. I knew a naturalized American with Canadian parents who couldn't get to square one.

Don't tell any lies. Don't admit to something you are apt to be prosecuted for because they don't promise not to share with the police. I'm talking about real crimes that people care about not playing poker.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:16 AM

OK, I am a dual citizen Canadian and American. I was born and grew up in the states but my parents are both Canadian and never became American citizens.. You think that will be a problem?
Old 10-02-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I am a dual citizen Canadian and American. I was born and grew up in the states but my parents are both Canadian and never became American citizens.. You think that will be a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Very, very similar, but my story was some years ago. This is one of those situations where you probably need to ask and see what happpens. But my guess is that there are certain jobs you can't have.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:49 PM

Do you work for the U.S. government now? What happened?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt that this will be a problem, I know plenty of immigrants who work for the Federal government.