Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 01:13 AM

Default First Stud Post

Unfortunately, I lost the hand history, so I'm going to have to reconstruct 3rd from memory...hope this goes well. Comments on all streets would be great, but I'm most troubled by 4th and 5th.

I'm to the left of the bring in, and complete with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. My cards are all live, and I get called by the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (villain 1) and the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].(villain 2)

Fourth: Villain 1 gets 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], villain two gets 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]., I catch a blank. Villain 1 checks, villain 2 bets, I raise, villain 1 check 3-bets, we both call.

Fifth:Villain 1 gets 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], villain 2 gets 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]., I still have my kings UI. Villain 1 checks, 2 checks, I bet, 1 check-raises, 2 calls two cold, I called wondering what the heck was going on.

Sixth:I catch a jack, giving me kigns up. 1 gets something (sorry), 2 gets another blank. We check through. At this point, I had no idea what was going on, and really, really didn't want to get check-raised again. Meh?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: First Stud Post

you have to assume that villan 1 hit trips on forth, get out asap UI kings are no good against a paired doorcard and its not worth chasin, you definately should't be betting.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...you definately should't be betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

correction- the 4th street bet isn't horrible if you think v1 will raise when he has trips and just call with 1 pair, you have to fold to the raise though, and keep in mind he may have trips and wait to raise on the BB rounds
Old 11-01-2005, 01:54 AM

It would be nice if you told us what the limit and ante structure were as well.

When a guy checks and three-bets, it usually means a big hand. I think against most opponents, you can safely put the guy on trips and fold to his re-raise on fourth. I do think you were correct to raise yourself, though.

Having called, absolutely take the free card on fifth. Both of these guys seem to like their hands. You have a pair. Check and hope you get lucky.

When the Sevens check sixth, it makes me think that maybe Kings-up are somehow good, so I'd probably bet. Maybe he's just trying to see how many times he can check-raise in one hand.

What is this "meh"? Don't use that anymore. Does anyone actually say that?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is this "meh"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its lame.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't use that anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you're our moderator.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone actually say that?

[/ QUOTE ]

lstream
Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 AM

I've seen "meh" used many times before, and have a reasonable handle on its meaning. I have never heard anyone use it in spoken English, however. lstream uses it in conversation?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:12 PM

I use it in conversation all the time. It's like a verbal shrug.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use it in conversation all the time. It's like a verbal shrug.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2005, 12:32 PM

You're done with this hand on 4th street. Fold almost 100% of the time when your opponent pairs his door card and plays back at you aggressively. The pot is small on 4th, if you're against trips you have two outs. This is a standard fold in stud.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2005, 01:18 PM

What Jeff said, but...at low stakes, many players are very loose, a paired door card doesn't mean trips as often as it would for tighter players. So don't automatically be terrified when a low stakes player pairs his door. However, since pots are generally small on fourth, it's usually right to err on the side of caution.