Default Re: classic rock?

[ QUOTE ]
is this on ZPS?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes it is.
[ QUOTE ]
Q102

[/ QUOTE ]
was a great station but its THE EDGE now. a good station half the time.

do you remember Z-rock? that station was good and they turned it into 97.1 the eagle which absolutely rocked and now that station is gone and we have some gay JACK FM station now that sucks ass. the eagle had howard stern and played all the best music. so i basically only listen to KZPS now.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
nirvana isn't rock, they are a mix of punk/alt rock

[/ QUOTE ]
Your definition of rock is way too rigid if you can't find room for Nirvana. Or any band of similar ilk, be it grunge, punk, etc...

[ QUOTE ]
why nirvana? why hasn't STP, soundgarden, pearl jam been on a classic rock station?

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes you think they haven't? Didn't you say you haven't listened to these stations in a while?

I classify "classic" as a time frame. Clearly what you consider classic rock was not classic rock when it was released. I'm sure these stations have some sort of time frame in mind where songs fall off of a regular rotation on other channels and become part of their domain. 12 years is a long time in music, so I don't disagree that early 90's stuff is borderline classic rock at this point.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think they haven't? Didn't you say you haven't listened to these stations in a while?

[/ QUOTE ]
they might have played it you are right. for one its not like i NEVER listen to the radio, i do listen to it and i have never heard STP or any of the others and i haven't seen anyone else chime in this thread talking about hearing big empty and fell on black days on their classic rock station either.
[ QUOTE ]
I classify "classic" as a time frame

[/ QUOTE ]
this is good. you are asnwering my question.

at what point do you start losing your audience? my father can't cover a span of 30 years. he is a classic rock freak (the reason i listen to it) but when you start sprinkling nirvana in there and others you are going to lose him and i am sure others his age. why not keep early 90's with the modern stage?
Old 10-14-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: It\'s simple math guys

[ QUOTE ]
Every "classic rock" station (forget your definition of what is and isn't classic rock) is targeting men 25-54, a huge chunk of that being 35+. A guy who was in college during the heyday, and will have fond memories of Pearl Jam, STP, Alice in Chains, etc... is now in his 30's. You will also notice that most classic rock stations have all but eliminated their 1960's catalog, as that audience has moved away from radio, or to Oldies formats. Forget trying to define classic rock, it boils down to what songs are testing well among the target demo.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I don't understand is why classic rock stations almost instantaneously went from playing 1964-1978 to 1975-1995. There was no gradual transition period. I never remember hearing much 80s music on classic rock stations, then all the sudden I hear Blues Traveler [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I classify "classic" as a time frame

[/ QUOTE ]
this is good. you are asnwering my question.

at what point do you start losing your audience? my father can't cover a span of 30 years. he is a classic rock freak (the reason i listen to it) but when you start sprinkling nirvana in there and others you are going to lose him and i am sure others his age. why not keep early 90's with the modern stage?

[/ QUOTE ]
An interesting question. I certainly see your point. It's likely just a matter of marketing and demographics. There is only room for a certain amount of stations in most markets and this stuff has to fall somewhere. It can't stay in the modern era forever, it has to age at some point. Probably around the time that the particular demographic that the station is seeking is right around the the age that was listening to these bands at their peak popularity.

I suspect you'll start hearing some STP and others on these stations in the coming months and years. Nirvana as the bridge gapper makes perfect sense to me. While that might not appeal to those of an older generation who have a certain definition of classic rock, they will likely have to adjust unless new stations of 90s rock find a market of their own, as consumers of your father's age are likely not the top priority of advertisers.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I classify "classic" as a time frame. Clearly what you consider classic rock was not classic rock when it was released. I'm sure these stations have some sort of time frame in mind where songs fall off of a regular rotation on other channels and become part of their domain. 12 years is a long time in music, so I don't disagree that early 90's stuff is borderline classic rock at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet if The Stones or Steve Miller put out an album today, most, if not all classic rock stations would play tracks off it.

I personally hate classification of music. I think it's the worst thing that ever happened to music. Some of the bands I listen to, like A3 or Poe, I don't even know where to find them. I also find it offensive that, because I like the Stones and Bruce Springsteen, someone else thinks I should also like The Eagles, Boston or Journey. These bands sound nothing alike to me.

I do always get a kick out of the music at K-Mart: They have two sections (not counting soundtracks), country and everything else. Ray Charles sits next to Christopher Cross.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do always get a kick out of the music at K-Mart: They have two sections (not counting soundtracks), country and everything else. Ray Charles sits next to Christopher Cross.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha the "popular" section!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
please elaborate.

since you didn't elaborate i guess i will. nirvana isn't rock, they are a mix of punk/alt rock and pop that comes out as grunge which isn't rock n' roll. they didn't start grunge music even though people think they did but they did "launch" it or take it to the next level or shove it to the mainstream or whatever you think is the appropriate wording. nirvana's influences are punk and ska bands and some pop bands and you hear it in their music.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nirvana IS definitely rock. Categorize them into whatever genre you wish, but it still falls under the broad "rock" category.

Punk and grunge are also rock music.

wiki
Old 10-14-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Punk and grunge are also rock music.

[/ QUOTE ]
just like wiki says, so are r&b and jazz and many other genres so why do we have seperate stations for all these types of music?

why don't we just throw them all on one station since they are all rock n roll then? that ought to be interesting [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 03:23 PM

Fill in the blank:
Punk ____
Grunge ____