Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re-learning poker & starting over ...what game do you choose?

I have been playing poker over the last six months and have cleared approximately $8k. This isn’t a brag post I know many others who clear that in a month.

The purpose of this post is to start over as I’m unhappy with my play of recent in NL poker and the swings I’ve encountered over the past few weeks. I’had been playing SNGs where most of my ‘winnings’ have come from. In recent weeks, NL100 is where my time has been going and my money as well.

I have the time to becoming a winning poker player over time and a lot of the character traits necessary to be a winner over the course of my life.

However, with my recent swings I’ve decided it would be best to start over and purchase all the books I don’t own, etc. The plan consists of painfully starting at the lowest limits possible and grinding/charging my way forward in any game. Suggestions and where you would start if you had to do it all over again; consider that you are a winning player but want to start all over again.

Since I plan on becoming very competitive on any one game, I’m going to put all my poker efforts into playing one game masterfully. What would you have done differently growing as a player and where would you start? The one game I choose to master should make me as proficient as possible at all variants of poker so I can play any game well and adapt to many situations; which game would fulfill me and offer the most room for growth in future years? I realise currently HE is the most popular and will offer the easiest games in the short-term but my goal is not accruing the most cash…
Discuss.

Your insight is greatly appreciated in this juncture of my poker career.

it may help to know I am currently a Mathematics & Economics student @ Univ of Maryland.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Re-learning poker & starting over ...what game do you choose?

[ QUOTE ]
The one game I choose to master should make me as proficient as possible at all variants of poker so I can play any game well and adapt to many situations;

[/ QUOTE ]
a tru pro excels in many more than 1 type of poker. different game teach different things. 7 card stud for example wil teach the value of giving/recieving free cards. limit hold'em teaches odds an implied odds. it is far better for your game to study multiple styles of poker rather than trying to master one game only
Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The one game I choose to master should make me as proficient as possible at all variants of poker so I can play any game well and adapt to many situations;

[/ QUOTE ]
a tru pro excels in many more than 1 type of poker. different game teach different things. 7 card stud for example wil teach the value of giving/recieving free cards. limit hold'em teaches odds an implied odds. it is far better for your game to study multiple styles of poker rather than trying to master one game only

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well, then which two games will help me become a masterful player in most forms of poker or what do you reccomend I do?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM

Hey, I had almost exactly the same experience. I ended up taking a break for a few weeks, then getting into limit 6-max while I was clearing a bonus. that's not something I would recommend for variance reduction though...

In terms of good technical gameplay, I would play full ring limit though.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:26 PM

Pick the game you enjoy the most and study your hand histories relentlessly