Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: A simple bluffing hand

Turn raise serves several purposes. You are legitimately semibluffing with 12-18 outs, disguising your hand for when you do hit considering he likes his hand enough to call your raise, you have a good shot of taking the pot down right then and there, and you will likely get a free showdown if you hit your pair outs (which will likely not be good if you DO get called, but have some showdown value nonetheless). If you raise to pot or close on the turn, he is going to have to expect to call on the river if he continues, and if he has a lone pair of 8's it is doubtful he will want to do so. Your bet on the river is the full price of showdown, and he knows that is all he has to put in, while if he calls a bet on the turn he has no idea what the actual price of showdown will be if he decides to continue with his marginal holding.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:55 PM

Very good comments guys.

I didn't instacall the turn. I gave it some thought because I was unsure of whether to raise there or wait. So I think he thinks I have an ace, and that's what I'm representing. I didn't give much thought (like you guys are doing) to raising the turn so that if he called, I'd get more value out of my made hand if I hit. Interesting. I thought of this as strictly a steal/bluff and I see there's another key element to it now.

And I think my FE is higher on the turn than the river. Any heart or any club 7 or higher is good for me on the river, but still, turn raise is better.

Results in white: <font color="white"> He folded to my river bet. </font>
Old 12-01-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I think my FE is higher on the turn than the river. Any heart or any club 7 or higher is good for me on the river, but still, turn raise is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely why you raise the turn instead of checking and bluffing the river. If you have higher FE on the turn, then thats where you want to raise.

In addition any heart might not be good, he could very well be drawing to a heart.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:00 PM

I would pull the triger on the turn before he has a chance to improve and greatly reduce your fold equity. That is where your bluff will be most convincing.